Crinoline was so much different than she imagined she would have been. You watch someone on your television screen for years and think that you know them. Maven knew nothing. She realized that now.

Crinoline let out a laugh, but there was no humor in it, "it seems so."

She moved in closer to Maven, "districts like one, two, and four. They come from the most beloved districts and they come in trained, lethal. They have the best names and skills on their card. But this is the Capitol," her hands came out in a flourish, "and here in the Capitol we let our whims run wild."

She didn't have to be the best tribute to back and to be honest, she couldn't. Like Crinoline said, she didn't have a good card. But, if Maven was correct in discerning Crinoline's meaning, she didn't need to be. She only had to be compelling. Compelling enough for the sophisticated citizens of the Capitol to overlook her card. She could be the pretty green dress.

"Make them love you." Crinoline's gaze was hard.

"Then use their love to kill every last tribute," Maven furthered.

The escort grabbed Maven's shoulders and turned her in a circle. She was surveying her for something. Seeming appeased, the woman nodded her head and gave Maven a slight push to a door. "Their love awaits."

Maven looked from the door handle to Crinoline. She might save me, she thought.

She stepped through the door.

Deafening screeches.

Maven had stepped out onto a balcony, which overlooked hordes of bright people. The train had slowed down. She assumed it was so that the people could get a nice look at their entertainment.

Showtime, Maven stepped out with a grin.

The yells intensified.

This moment counted. This moment was more than making them love her. She had to prove her love to them. They needed to see her as one of them. So she made her smile wider and opened her arms to the masses. Like she was embracing them in one hug. I'm here. I'm here and I do not intend on leaving.

Maven had never been liked as a girl. She had never seen so many smiling at her.

The train had slowed down even more. They must be getting closer and closer to the parade center.

"Eight, Eight! Look at me, Eight!" A little girl's voice screeched out louder than the rest. She was sitting on her father's shoulders. Her hair was braided into a cone above her head.

Maven decided to show her a little twirl. She blew her a kiss. The girl loved it.

Like me.

A group of teen girls were jumping up and down. They must have been her age.

In another life, she could have been one of them. Born into the Capitol. Skipping class with friends because she was just so excited to go get a sneak peak of the tributes.

Too bad life was a cruel vindictive bitch.

Maven gave the girls a wink and a fluttering wave.

Love me.

The train pulled on and Maven saw that the show was about to be over. A large grey building was approaching.

Giving one last broad grin, she spun on her heels. Her hair flipped as she turned towards the door. A wink and then she was gone.

Save me.

--

Her stylists were very expressive about how thankful they were to have older tributes that they could "sex up" this year.