Chapter Twenty-Five

I tapped my foot on the floor as me, Barry, Joe and Iris waited for Wally to arrive. Ig had been roughly an hour, and there was still no sign he'd be showing up.

Sighing, Iris cleared her throat. "Looks like Wally isn't gonna show." She said as I frowned.

"Well, West family 2.0 is not off to a great start." Joe said as I held my frown, making a 'don't say that' noise.

"Guys he probably just forgot. Maybe if one of you text him? Wait that sounds like you're trying to push him to come." I said as Barry chuckled quietly, wrapping an arm around my shoulder and rubbed it gently.

"Am I trying to hard to get Wally to like us? I feel like I'm nagging him to like us and I don't want to do that. Wally just seems super nice and I want him to feel comfortable around us and-"

"Daisy, you're rambling." Barry said as I shut my mouth, huffing through my nose.

"Sorry, I guess I'm just nervous about this. I mean I'm not even part of the family and-"

"Daisy come on, you are practically family already. We've technically known you for years." Joe said as I turned to look up at him, smiling.

"Thanks Joe. Well, if Wally isn't gonna show, I think I'm just gonna go sit on the floor in the kitchen and eat your lasagna." I said before getting you and quickly walking to the kitchen.

"Daisy you gotta share!" Iris said as she started running at me, a Yelp escaping me as I started running to the lasagna, holding back my laughter, while Iris let hers out.

I grabbed the oven mits, scooping up the lasagna and sticking my tongue out at Iris like a child before running off at normal speed, grabbing a fork from the table and cutting a corner of the lasagna, eating it quickly.

"The lasagna... is great!" I yelled to Joe as I passed him and Barry, who were both laughing hysterically at me and Iris.

Finally, Iris had given up, coming to a stop and resting her hands on her knees, inhaling and exhaling loudly as she tried to breathe. "H-how are- you not- o-out of breath?" She asked as I held the fork in my mouth, Barry and I making eye contact for a moment.

"Oh uh... I took track in high school." I lied as I could almost hear Barry's groan of disapproval at my lie.

"You- and track? I have to help you off the couch 95% of the time you sit down." Iris said as I set the lasagna in the table.

"Well, like I said. It was high school. I'm not as athletic as I once was." I said as Iris gave me a suspicious look.

Barry

Daisy left to go to the bathroom, Iris finally catching her breath as she walked up to me. "You've been really quiet, Bar. The Turtle?" She asked as I frowned.

"How do you know about him?" I asked as Iris groaned quietly. "No, no I just have a lot on my mind."

"Is it Daisy?" Iris asked as I looked at her, the look she read on my face saying it all. "We... may have met up for coffee a few days ago.."

"Iris-"

"She's worried about you, Barry. You've been.. guarded, from her and she wants to know why. She really cares about you." Iris said as I sighed, dropping my head.

"And what did you tell her?" I asked as Iris sighed.

"I told her to talk to you about it, because I don't know what goes on in your mind now a days." Iris said with a small chuckle. "You know... she did mention you've been having nightmares. What are they about?" She asked as I sighed.

"They're about Zoom... killing her. I just- I don't know why my mind has been making up this scenario that she gets killed. It-" I was cut off by
Daisy walking back down the stairs, a smile on her face that could light up the room, which only caused me to smile slightly.

"Hey guys. I think I'm gonna go get some hot chocolate from Jitters. Anyone want anything?" Daisy asked as we all shook our heads. Daisy nodded, grabbing her jacket and opening the door before heading out.

I sighed quietly, watching her leave through the window before a pink light shined through, and then she was gone.

Daisy

I skidded to a halt near Jitters, opening the door and walking in with a smile. "Hey Daisy! What can I get you?" Carly asked as I walked up.

"Oh I'll just have a hot chocolate. Large and extra whipped cream." I answered with a smile as she nodded.

"$6.37." She said as I quickly paid her, taking a seat near the counter.

I looked around sort of awkwardly, fumbling with my thumbs as I waited for my drink. Looking to the entrance, I noticed a man in a black outfit walk in and stand at the counter.

"Give me one second, sir." Carly said as I watched the man carefully. Looking at his hands, I widened my eyes as he pulled out a gun.

"Money in the cash register. Give it to me." He ordered as Carly froze in her spot, my eyes wide as I stood up, the gun now at me. "One more move and I'll shoot you!"

"Get out of here, Carly!" I yelled as she made a run to the back exit, but was stopped in her place when a weird green-like mist appeared everywhere.

While she froze in her spot, I was able to move slowly, turning to see The Turtle shoot his gun, take the cash, and leave.

My head spun around slowly as I tried to run and catch the bullet, time returning, but I was too late.

The bullet hit Carly in the back of the neck, her body dropping almost instantly. "CARLY!" I screamed as I dropped to her side, picking her upper half up as blood dripped out of her mouth, eyes wide and empty of life.

"Oh god..." I muttered as I fumbled for my phone.

"Daisy?" Barry answered, tears threatening to fall down my face.

"Barry! The-the Turtle! He-he was here and- I wasn't- oh my god Carly is dead. He killed her." I said through sobs, and in the blink of an eye, Barry was next to me, lifting me up to hug me tightly as I cried.

"I wasn't fast enough.. I-I could have saved her if I was fast enough, Barry." I whispered as he rubbed my back, his chin resting on the top of my head.

"It's okay, Daisy..." he muttered as I shook my head.

I failed at being the hero for once. The first person I could have saved was killed because I wasn't fast enough. How am I supposed to be a hero when I can't stop a speeding bullet even with my super speed?

I don't want to fail this city. But I know I can still be a hero. Carly was my first failure, I can't have more.