NO FOOLING ZACK

A white cotton towel was wrapped around her newly wet hair from her shower. Audrey was dressed in a white spaghetti strap combined with skimpy baby blue shorts with little white dots scattered across the blue.

     A big fat yawn escaped her tired mouth. "Oh my," she started after. "I think my bed is calling me."

     "Or Steve is," Zachary mumbled from the kitchen table. His eyes studied a bruise up his arm that he couldn't recall having seen before. As if fed up trying to remember when and where he got that mark, he forgot it altogether and turned to look at his sister. "Speaking of which, when did you two become a thing?"

     "Been training lately?" Audrey quickly diverted the question pinned on her while directing one towards him.

     If her eldest brother seemed to have noticed the abrupt change in discussion, he hadn't made it obvious on the outside. At present, he continued with the new conversation. Shrugging, he rambled on, "Been training with SHIELD agents, learning new things about my power, spending time with God, and—"

     "Spending time with God?" This had caught the assassin's attention. "So you still believe in mom's religion?"

     "Yes spending more time with God, and no not mom's religion, just a way of living. And it's called Christianity dear sister, same thing mother taught us as we grew up. Of course you should already know this." He eyed her knowingly with disapproval. As if to say through his eyes, you should know better.

    "Yes yes, I know." She waved her hand at him, uninterested.

     "It's been good." Zachary answered the unasked question.

     "What has?"

     "Spending time with Him more. I feel like I've grown in my walk with Him." His voice carried reverence and a certain degree of awe for his God, as if hearing himself—those words—made him believe them verses actually thinking or visually perceiving that he had.

     Audrey was silent for a few seconds staring at her brother, as if she were laying her eyes on him for the first time. In a new light, a new understanding of him, a new him. 

     Perhaps it wasn't just training keeping him away from her, but that he always had his nose stuck in the Word of God.

     "How has your walk been?" He asked, almost tentatively, not knowing how she'd react.

     She snorted. "I wouldn't call it a 'walk,' just a run, or maybe a dash." She unwound the cotton towel off her head, ruffling her chocolaty locks to soak any remaining water out of the strands of hair.

     "I'm serious."

     She threw the towel carelessly on the grey couch in the living room, then walked over to the kitchen that was attached. "I am being serious." She put her hands on her hips and huffed. "I'm hungry, are you? We should raid the cafeteria. It should be after hours by now," her eyes flickered to the clock that hung above the sink, "so we can leave now."

     "One, pick up the towel and hang it properly. Two, we're not raiding anything, you must have food around her somewhere." He looked from left to right, hands outstretched on either sides as he moved back and forth. "And three, stop diverting my questions." He pinned his light brown eyes on his sister. She stared back, feigning a blank innocence.

     Her naive pretense didn't fool Zachary however.

     Finally, he huffed and crossed his arms. "If you tell me what's going on, we can raid the cafeteria." His voice was monotone and flat, as if he had to force the words out.