Chapter 17

Ethan and I walk into the gym later that day where the gym teacher, Mr. G was putting basketballs back in the bag. "Mr. G?" I call out. He looks up at us. "Do you think I could be on the wrestling team?' he smiles. "Oh, sure you can. I mean, if you believe you can." Ethan and I share a look and we both shrug and nod. This had to be done to get the coach off our backs anyways.

"Here, why don't you go ahead and fill that out right there" He hands me a clipboard. "You too, Ethan?" "Oh, no. I'm just here for moral support" Ethan says and he nods as I start filling the form out. "So, uh, this means Ryleigh can wrestle Kurt 'The Hurt' Lochner, right?" Ethan asks. "Oh, I'm afraid so" Mr. G, stands, pointing at the clipboard.

"Uh, if you could just make sure to fill out the emergency contact and the blood type part of the form there." He smiles like he didn't just tell. me I'm signing my death warrant and Ethan sends me a worried look as I laugh nervously. He walks away and I turn to look at Ethan. "What if I don't know my blood type?" "I think I should be the one to do this. For the both of us. I can't let you get beat down by Kurt" Ethan tries to take the clipboard but I pull it away.

"Not so fast, buddy. I already told Kurt I was wrestling against him." I look around before leaning closer. "Honestly, I know I'm gonna get pummeled. Obviously. Have you seen how big that guy is?" "Then why are you doing this?" Ethan asks in disbelief. "Sarah, obviously. I think I'll do better with you and dumb and dumber cheering me on though. Can you do that for me?" Ethan sighs but slowly nods. "Thanks, E." I pat his shoulder with an appreciative smile.

~~~

"I kept watching, and there they were- talking, laughing, very, very close. Intimate, even. In fact, one might even say they were...kanoodling." Ethan and I look over Benny's drawing as we sit in my room. "I can barely tell what I'm looking at. You're a pretty crummy artist." Ethan informs him, handing Benny the drawings back.

I sigh, sitting in my desk chair. "What? Videos won't work with vampires so I did my best." Benny defends himself. "Well, you're best isn't good enough. Now I'm really gonna have to step my game up if I want to impress Sarah." "You'll be a wrestling...machine!" Ethan encourages.

I raise an eyebrow at him. "The Wrestle Max Mark Five!" He adds. "Uh, yeah, sure" I nod slowly, Benny and I sending each other a look. Cue the workout montage, starting with me doing pushups, not that it was that hard from all the times I've had to do them. What did make them harder though is Ed sitting on me, causing me to fall with a grunt.

Ed also wanted me to bench some weights. A lot of weights. I've done it before but when I saw how many he piled on, I knew I was screwed. I struggle to lift the bar as he watches me closely. I groan, dropping my arms, breathing heavily. "Oh, what, you just gonna let gravity own you like that?" "Yes" I breathe out. "Keep pushing, girl!" He yells, almost like a drill sergeant. I sigh, trying again. "You're really annoying sometimes" I grumble. I had to at least try. This would get the coach away and impress Sarah. Hopefully.

~~~

"In the spirit of non-competition, I pledge to be a non-partisan referee for tonight's match, so, uh..." He looks at Kurt who was dressed in a blue wrestling uniform, stood right beside him in the center. "Well, may every man or woman win, or uh..." He glances back at Kurt again. "At least survive"

"Thanks for the vote confidence, Mr. G." I grumble as Ethan, Rory and Benny try to hype me up. I was dressed in the same thing as Kurt, except my uniform was red. I was ready to get my ass kicked but if worse comes to worse, Ethan could take my place and get the trophy for us so Ed will get off our backs.

"Representing a Conway Collegiate, we have Kurt 'The Hurt' Lochner." Everyone in the crowd cheers. "Don't worry about the cheers, Ryleigh, just the aftermath" Benny reminds me and I nod. "Yeah! Conway! Woo!" Kurt screams and I roll my eyes. "Okay, all right, and representing White Chapel High, we-" Benny rushes over to grab the mic from Mr. G, interrupting him.