Chapter 9

1st Person

"There you are, Ry. Come and sit down for a second. Talk to your aunt" Aunt Wendy pats the spot on the couch beside her, moving the fabrics off the spot. "I'm gonna be late for school" I tell her. "This will only take a minute" She assures me. I frown, setting down my backpack and walking towards her, taking a seat.

"Now, before I say anything, I want you to know, I'm here for you" Aunt Wendy rests her hand over mine comfortingly. "Okay?" I nod slowly. She lets out a deep breath before looking me in the eye. "They found your father" She tells me gently. "What?" I strain to hear her, not believing what she's telling me.

"They found your father, Ryleigh." She repeats. "Good. Great then. That's one less psycho we have to deal with" I quickly say, standing up. "Ryleigh, please sit back down" "I-I-I have to....I need to go" I rush out, grabbing my bag. "Ryleigh!" I ignore her, heading out the door.

~~~

"Think about it, dudes! Anything we want. Cash. Cars. Candy." Benny starts listing off as him, Ethan and I walk down the halls. "So you only use magic spells for stuff that starts with 'C'?" Ethan scoffs. "Once we were lonely high school noobs. Now, we're vampire killing, spell-casting, ball-kicking rock stars! The world is our oyster" Benny exclaims excitedly.

"Have you ever actually had oysters? Not something you want to swallow, more like something you'd cough up." Ethan points out. "What do you think, Ry?" The two turn to look at me. "Yeah, sure, Benny." I nod along. My mind was elsewhere though. Why did Aunt Wendy have to tell me something this important right before I went to school?

"Are you okay? You've been acting weird all morning" Ethan says worriedly. "I'm fine, guys. Don't worry about me. Just continue to talk about coughing up oysters" I wave them off and Benny scoffs. "Yeah, nice. Nice image to start the day. But, there's the image I need" He nods his head over at a cute blonde girl down the hall as we pause.

"I know you're the 'see-er' and all, E, but I can see her with me" Benny smiles as I roll my eyes. "Her? No way would she go for someone like you. Do you see her?" I scoff. I had to get the earlier conversation out of my head, which meant involving myself in their conversations, even if they were stupid as always.

"I think I'd have a chance" Benny defends himself. "Just, keep the magic on the down low, remember? Life just got back to normal." Ethan sighs. "Would you relax? I got this." He suddenly uses magic, pulling out a bouquet. "I can't wait to see how this goes down" I scoff, crossing my arms as I watch after him.

Ethan just rolls his eyes at the both of us. "Can I talk to you?" Sarah comes up beside us. "Hey, how goes it? What's new?" Ethan asks. "Uh, hey Sarah. Looking good as always" I smile. "Thanks." Sarah smiles at me. She then looks between the two of us. "Can I borrow $20, friends?" Ethan and I frown at each other. What a great way to start the conversation.

"It's for a good cause." Sarah adds when she notices our expressions. "$20? Like now? Um..." "Fine" I sigh. I reach into my backpack, pulling out a 10 dollar bill. "I only have 10" I hand her the 10. "Thank you. You won't regret it" Sarah beams. We hear crying and all turn to find the girl Benny was talking to crying, holding the bouquet in her hands as Benny looks at us unsurely. "Oh, God. What did he do?" I sigh.

Benny quickly walks back towards us. "Awesome news. Della's dog died!" Benny says as he approaches. Sarah, Ethan and I give each other looks. "And that's good news?" "Is this how you'd act if Snowball died?" I add. "No, if Snowball died, I'd be upset but this isn't about your dog, it's about hers." "Nice. Gotta go. Later" Sarah walks away, leaving us.

"She said she loved my flowers. And then she said she'd do anything to bring her dog back. Anything!" Benny emphasizes the anything. "Yeah" Ethan sighs. "What if somebody magically brought her dog back? Can you imagine how grateful she'd be?" Benny says. Ethan nods before realizing what he was talking about. "No! No, Benny. You cannot bring her dead dog back to life!" Ethan disagrees.