Chapter 11

Christmas was nearing quickly and Hermione hadn't spoken to Harry in a week. Not once did they exchange anything more than a quick glance at the dinner table or an accidental run in through their common room. Inevitably, Hermione got closer to Theo and spent most of her time hidden away in her - now their - spot in the library. Dark Hermione was feeding on Hermione's mental weakness when it came to Harry and their failed relationship.

   Some days it seemed that D.H was the only person that Hermione talked to, as sad as it seemed. Theo was doing his best to teach Hermione how to control her demon but D.H was so much stronger than they anticipated, and now Theo could see the demon beneath her mask. "You know I never would have thought that you and I would be so close," he said one day as they finished their potion homework together in the library. Hermione craned her neck to look at her friend who sat upon the table. "It's strange isn't it? The connection that we have."

    Hermione nodded,"It is strange how you've become one of the most important people in my life and so quickly. Like we need each other in a different way than other people."

   Harry closed his eyes and let out a quiet sigh, tuning out of the rest of the conversation that he had been listening to. He had meant to find Hermione to ask her for her forgiveness, to work together to figure out this trouble she was in. He was one of the few people who knew of the small cove in the back of the library that Hermione loved so much and yet here he saw Theodore Nott sitting next to her.

    He had wanted to get back together but now it seemed near impossible, with Hermione slowly falling in love with someone else. He didn't wait to hear anymore and instead hurried to the Gryffindor common room where he sat with Ron. Hermione didn't hear anyone around her and her new friend so she continued on mindlessly with the conversation. "I know you're struggling without him, Mione."

Hermione nodded, thinking of Harry and how much she loved him. It had been a terrible week without speaking to him, and she hated herself more and more every second of it. Theo continued on, taking her hand in his. "But now you have me, and I might not be the same to you as him but I will take my job as your best friend seriously. We are gonna get through this disease and you're gonna get Potter back, that's a promise."

"Don't make promises that you can't keep, Theo." Hermione scolded softly, gently tugging her hand back and picking her books off the table. Theo continued to do his best to encourage her, but Hermione tuned him out, putting her tough facade on again. The only person that had seen her soft and weak side in the past week was Theo, and everyone else thought that Hermione had broken up with Harry to be with him.

It was an odd sight to see that first day after the Golden Couple had broken up; Theodore and Hermione walking together. Many people didn't know what to think of it, Hermione Granger was known to search for lost causes and put them back together, but the air around them seemed different than that. People began to recognize that the Gryffindor and Slytherin were genuine friends, and that sent the entire school into a frenzy.

    Even Professor Mcgonagall had taken an interest in Hermione's change in relationship status and pulled the young girl into her office later that evening. "Miss Granger -"

    "You know you can call me Hermione -" The young witch whispered weakly, "we fought next to each other in a war. I think you can drop the formalities now, Professor."

     Minerva blinked back at the brunette with a newfound respect. She was right of course, they were equals now, heroes of the same war. Victims to the same sorrow. "Then Hermione, I was wondering how you're holding up. I know you and Harry have just recently broken off your ties -"

    Hermione stood, already feeling the tears creeping up behind her eyes. "Professor, there is no need to be concerned in my love life. There are much bigger problems in this world."