Two

EDITED

By 7.56 am I have all of my clothes unpacked, hung up in the walk-in closet and am halfway through unpacking my books, so I decide to have a break and go downstairs to grab some breakfast.

When I'm halfway down the stairs I hear raised voices and the reason why becomes clear when I walk into the kitchen.

Caitlin, a girl my age with brown hair halfway down her back, wide brown eyes that sort of remind you of melted chocolate and who has a bone structure that can only be described as delicate, and Tori, a girl whose real name is Victoria, is eighteen, has black hair that has been cut just below her chin, dark blue eyes like a summer night and who has a slightly chunky but sexy looking figure, are fighting over the milk.

'Morning, Daire. Don't mind those two, its routine.' A voice from behind the open fridge door calls to me. The head that belongs to the voice peers around the fridge door to give me a reassuring smile and I see that it's Sam.

Sam's a twenty something Care Worker who works here at Moon Light Falls Care Home, Moon Light Home for short, which is named after the woods that surround the town of Moon Light Falls and the woods that Moon Light Home backs on to; through most of the time you'd think Sam was a resident at Moon Light Home. She has blond hair that swings around her shoulders, light hazel eyes and is about average height. Also Sam is short for Samantha.

Seeing Caitlin, Tori and Sam reminds me that I'm now an orphan and I live in a care home. I have no friends, I don't know where I am and I still have to meet the rest of the people I'm going to be living with for who knows how long. Then just to pile another thing onto everything, I have a new school to look forward to since its Monday tomorrow.

A voice by my ear makes me jump out of my skin and brings me out of my reverie.

'We wouldn't know what day it is without them two going at each others throats. Through it is quite funny to watch, today I'm betting on Tori winning this fight.'

I turn my head slightly to the right to see a boy about a year older than me. He has white-blond hair gelled into spikes and eyes that are the complete opposite of Tori's. Eyes that are so light blue they are almost white. My eyes drift down to his lips. His soft looking lips are pulled into a smile.

I mentally shake myself. All this thinking about lips, what's happening to me, I'm normally in more control.
I tell myself to shut up again and continue my assessment of this boy standing in front of me, leaning against the door jam. His shoulders are broad under a hoodie and he's a good foot over my 5"4.

'Hmm. No I'm thinking Caitlin.' I say to him which I think is quite a good comeback since he just almost gave me a heart attack.

'Okay the loser makes the winner breakfast. Shake on it.' He offers me his hand. 'Im Alex.'

I slip my hand inside his. 'Daire.'

I continue quietly observing Alex, just looking at his face. There's a loud bang from the middle of the room and Tori storms past me and Alex and out of the room, giving me a 'friendly' glare as she goes past. Alex whistles. 'Well done. What do you want?'

'Coco Pops.'

While he makes breakfast I watch Caitlin.

'So you bet on me then?'

Thinking she's mad I brace myself as I say, 'Yeah. And?'

'Nothing but thanks.' She smiles at me.

I smile back.

'Daire's got good intuition.' Alex calls to us as he walks over with our breakfast.

A mocking laugh comes from the doorway. 'If I knew Alex was making breakfast I would have ordered eggs and bacon.'

When I look towards the door I see a boy about Alex's age. He has hair that's so black it looks dyed, eyes are so black you can't see where his irises end and where his pupils start and lips . . . lips that are simply irresistible, lips that remind me of someone.