Thirteen

Half an hour later I'm sat on my bed under the covers, with Alex sat on top of the covers and learning against the board at the bottom of my bed. Between us there's a tray. On the tray is a plate of double chocolate chip cookies - the best ones in my opinion - and one and a half empty cans of Dr. Pepper. The only movement is my hand repeatedly reaching for a cookie, then bringing said cookie to my mouth as I slowly but surely munch my way through all the cookies.

"Why did you lie, Daire? He practically tried to kill you!" The sound of Alex's voice in the silence - apart from the munching sound of cookie being devoured of course - manages to shock me so much I start to slightly choke.

After getting a hold of myself, I look at Alex. I see a grown man resting against the footboard but looking into his clear blue eyes I see a worried boy in a mans body. "I didn't do it for him, if that's what you're worried about."

"So, you didn't do it because you have a thing for him or something?" This causes me to let out a laugh.

"God, no. I do realise that the prick was just using me for some kind of end game plus I'm not gonna let the fact that he tried to kill me slide." As I say this without realising it the hand not holding a cookie goes to my neck. I only realise when my hand connects with my neck that has a necklace of purplish blue bruising, causing me to wince in pain. Turns out said prick is very strong.

"Then who did you do it for?" He picks up his can of Dr. Pepper and takes a sip before placing it back in the same position on the tray.

"I did it for you." As I watch his face fill with surprise, I notice that the sip of Dr. Pepper has left his bottom lip slightly wet and red and looking really kissable. The fact that we were kissing no less than an hour ago begins to dawn on me.

"What do you mean you did it for me?"

"Well, if I tell them they might send him away, I've watched TV and films you know." I give him a wide eyed stare to back up my words. "I couldn't live with myself if they sent him away. He's your twin brother, I couldn't separate you two. I mean what kind of person would that make me?"

Truth be told no matter what kind of monster his brother was, Alex wasn't like him and I couldn't bring myself to hurt him in that way. What if I did it and he refused to have anything to do with me anymore? Don't ask me why it matters so much to me but it does. It's probably just because he's my friend and I don't want to lose him - as a friend I mean.

"Daire, that would make you human! You have a right to want to feel protected and make sure you are actually physically protected!" My heart racing at his outburst, I look at Alex to see his eyes are glazed with unshed tears of anger.

"Alex?" He turns his head away from me so I can no longer see the weakness in his eyes. I push the duvet down and wiggle my way over to him on my knees. When I reach him I'm unsure of wether or not to touch him so I just say his name again. "Alex?"

After not getting any sort of response from him for about a minute I put my hand in his shoulder. My touch causes him to turn his head towards me. Looking into his face I see it's filled with anger and hate. Hate for what, I don't know but for a second I feel like it's directed at me causing me to flinch as I remember the hate that filled Jason's face as his hands were wrapped around my neck. His twin that is the complete opposite of Alex. They're are like day and night, light and darkness, good and evil. Even through they are complete opposites if you look closely and if they are pulling a certain expression you can see that they are twins.

Seeing me flinch away from him, Alex instantly softens his facial features and grabs onto my hand that I started to take off his shoulder. Once he has my hand in his, he interlocks our fingers. The palms of our hands lie flat against each other and he slowly traces a line repeatedly up and down my thumb with his thumb. After watching him do this a couple time I look up to see Alex already watching me. "Alex." His name comes out of my mouth in a half whisper, half moan.