Chapter 21

"You don't even understand" Carrie rolls her eyes, impatient with me. "It means he's into me"

"Oh"

"Oh, yeah" A smile appears on her face, she's amused. "It shouldn't be so difficult to talk to you about boys, you do have a boyfriend after all."

I shrug my shoulder, closing my locker carefully. Last time I slammed it too hard and broke it and got a fine. That was fun.

"Your boyfriend is also a pop superstar." she bites her lip, smirking. "How did you ever land him?"

"Pop superstar? That makes him sound like he's 13." I laugh, leading the way to 5th hour. "And you know I've enever been good with guys."

"Well anyway, his name is Brian. He's on the basketball team." Carrie goes on, happy to talk about her love life.

"Oh yeah, he's in my math class."

"Isn't he so cute?" She grins all giddy, blushing on the spot. "We're finally going on a date tonight."

"Where?" I ask trying to keep her on her Carrie train. I don't feel like talking much today, so I'll just let her do all the work.

"La Baguette! It's a brand new restaurant down town. He said he's paying too, which is great because that place is so expensive."

"I'm happy for you." I smile at her. "You'll have to let me know how it goes."

"What are you doing tomorrow?" She asks me eagerly, some idea obviously popping into her mind.

I have chemo.

"Uh... Family stuff. Why?" I ask nervously, I hate lying.

"You're a terrible liar" she points at me accusingly.

Oh no.

"You're gonna go see Luke aren't you?"

I let out a sigh of relief. That's not where I saw that going.

"No, he's playing in Florida you know that."

"I don't know, maybe he's flying you down there. Wouldn't be the first time." She says as we approach our class. "Bros before hoes right?" She smirks.

"I think it's sisters before misters." I laugh.

"Oh whatever, same thing." She smiles, amused with herself. "Hang out with me instead please."

"I wasn't going to hang out with Luke.."

"Perfect! It's a date then" she winks at me, entering our class and taking her usual seat. Carrie you can be a pain in the ass some times.

I walk in and take my usual seat next to her in the back right corner. I'm pulling out my textbook when I feel my phone buzz in my pocket.

Hey sexy, how's school?

I smile like an idiot down at my screen. I love his surprise text messages, they always seem to make my day. He could text me a blank text and Id still get butterflies.

"Tell him to tell the boys I say hi" Carrie whispers at me, throwing me another wink.

Boring, I'd rather be with you.

"First Id like to come around the room and check your hw from last night." Ms. Rodgers says, picking up her clipboard from her desk. I shove my phone back into my pocket, I don't want to get it taken away.

"Shit I didn't do it." Carrie grows pale.

"Just copy mine quick." I pass it to her, making sure the teacher doesn't see. She's too distracted flipping through Jordan's notebook in the front.

"This is why I love you."

I feel my phone buzz again, and decide to take the risk of taking my phone out to look.

Me too. We're down at the beach and the guys are hitting on this group of hot chicks and I'm just sitting here thinking about what you'd look like in one of those bikinis ;)

Oh my god... Did he just?

I don't even know how to respond to that. I don't know if I'm grossed out or flattered. Is that a compliment?

"She's coming." Carrie whispers, tossing my homework back to me and eyeing my phone.

I once again shove it into my pocket, where Luke will have to wait until the end of the class.

After class I show Carrie the text.

"You're better with guys than I am... What do I do?" I ask embarrassed, my cheeks turning red.

"It's not a sext or anything Ava." She rolls her eyes at me, re reading it one more time. "He just misses his hot girl friend."

"I don't know if I'm weirded out or flattered." I shrug my shoulders.

"Weirded out?" she laughs, handing my phone back to me. "You find him attractive, yes?"

"Well yeah he's Luke Hemmings..."

"And he finds you attractive, Ava. Take it as a compliment."

"Okay okay fine. But how do I respond to something like that?" I ask almost desperately. I wish I was good with guys.

"I don't know Av. You could change the topic or play along with it." She shrugs her shoulders, "up to you."

"Thanks for the... Uh help."

"No problem, that's what friends are for." She pats me on the back. "Seeya tomorrow!"

I look back down at the text and re read it one last time. I know I'm overthinking this, I've never had a problem texting him before.

Are they having any luck?

I ask, deciding to switch the focus a bit. That's fine, right?

He responds right away.

Michael looks like he's getting somewhere with one, but Calum and Ashton got turned down pretty quick.

I laugh, imagining it in my head.

Ahaha what a shame, no girls hitting on you, right? I'd hate to have to dump you over text

Haha no babe, there's only you 😘

My heart jumps a little bit. Oh Luke.

That's good to hear :P I gotta go, but luke?

Yeah?

I take a deep breath before hitting send.

Check my facebook, I think you'd be satisfied with my spring break pictures 😉

I turn off my phone and almost throw it. I'm terrible at flirting oh my god. Facebook? Really Ava? I burry my face in my hands and take a deep breath before walking out of the school and into my car.

------

Sorry for the short chapters! They'll start getting longer, I promise :) 7k reads! I love you guys thank you so much!

Hope you're enjoying the story! :)