Chapter 31

The guards help us to our car and we get out safety. No more fan girls.

"Sorry for that..." He apologizes for the craziness, taking my hand again. "I don't know how they knew."

"It's okay" I smile weakly, just happy to see him. "How was your flight?"

"It was fine. Long." He sighs. "But it was beyond worth it to see those eyes."

Cheesy, but I kiss his lips, unable to resist. "Thank you for coming. Your hair is growing back."

"It is" he runs his hands through the short blonde strands. "I should get it cut again."

"Don't."

He smiles at me, amused at my quick response.

"You look better with hair" I defend myself. Running my fingers through it again. Feeling the texture. "I love your hair."

"I'll take that as a compliment?" He laughs, stroking my other palm with his thumb. The motion is relaxing and it helps soothe the discomfort from the chemo.

"How have you been Carrie?" He asks, and I'm surprised at his friendliness towards her. To be honest since that first night he's always been a little cold around her.

"Good" she smiles, turning off the freeway. "Busy with school, how are you? And the guys?"

"We're all fine"

"I miss them" I interrupt, thinking about Ashton's humor and Calum's over protective friend skills that I'm starting to admire. It's been too long.

"I'm sure you'll see them soon" he reassures me, "either you'll come to another show or I'll force them to visit when it's less busy"

Carrie looks at me through the rearview mirror. Clearly telling me you have to tell him.

Don't look at me like that I mouth.

The first thing we do when we get to my apartment is dig around for a good movie to watch. I wish we could go for a walk, or go out to the movies, or something. But I can't. My body says no.

"Remember that time we went ice skating?" I smile to myself, picking out the proposal as an option.

That day had been perfect. That was the first time Luke admitted he had feelings for me. The time he explained why he kissed me and told me I was beautiful and intriguing. It's hard to forget.

"I'll never forget that day" he looks at me with soft eyes. "You still owe me another skate date"

"Skate date?" I laugh at his word choice. "You're on."

"Do you remember when I did this?" He leans forward, leaving a soft peck on my lips. "And when you didn't believe me that I actually liked you"

"I still don't"

His face becomes serious, and he's about to say something when I interrupt his thought. "Just kidding."

"Do you remember the cafe?" He smirks, dropping the DVDs and facing all his attention towards me. "You still have that jacket don't you?"

"Maybe..." I smile, picturing it hanging in my closet. I known exactly where it is. "I'm not giving it back."

"I know" he grins.

"Can we..." I start, already wanting to run away and hide forever. I can't do this. But I have to. "Talk?"

"Umm... Sure" he shifts uneasily on the ground, all humor gone. I wonder what he's thinking. "You're not breaking up with me are you?"