Chapter 22

Jamie

   "Back off mother." She was not going to ruin every moment she saw Riley and I having. This was becoming way too old, too fast. I stood along with Riley and felt her link our fingers. "Don't you ever get tired of trying to control me?"

   "What you can't comprehend and apparently your father either, is that it is my job to make sure you go down the right path." My mother seemed so wrapped in her mindset of how things should be she still hadn't caught onto one major thing.

   "No. It was your job to guide me to a path that is positive, honest, safe, and humbling. A path that would bring me happiness for the rest of my life. What you've done all my life...is tried to force me into a path you wanted." I huffed angry that every time I saw my mother all we did was argue about what was right for me. I knew what and who was right for me and she was standing beside me. Riley was more to me my mother could never destroy.

   My mother began one of her continuous rants as I watched a moment finally over explaining anything to her. I loved her but that didn't mean I had to stand here and let her badger my relationship with Riley. Any second she would start throwing religion at me and I didn't want to be present for that.

   Without saying not even a goodbye I turned my back to my mother and pulled Riley off into the opposite direction.

   When we were a safe distance, heading inside the snack store Riley took opportunity to speak first. "I'm so proud of you."

   That made me look at her.

   "You handled that better then I ever could." Riley grabbed both sides of my face, planting a ferocious kiss over my lips.

  "Hot damn...digidy damn," Ricky walked up joking. "That was saa...smoking sexy."

   "Get a life," I said teasingly.

   "I do have one life to live," Ricky said jokingly. "In these are our stories on, Days of our Lives." His last few words Ricky used the highest tenors voice he could accomplish.

   Riley laughed. "I didn't know you watched soap operas."

   "Nah...but my grams could never turn that shit off." Jamie narrowed her eyes at his profanity and Ricky snickered. "Look...cursing was like a second language growing up in my household."

   "So was being judgmental...but I've been surpassing that."

   "Fair enough." Ricky had a serious expression for all of a few seconds. "I'll get back to you once I've too...surpassed my upbringing."

   "Babe...you'll just go in circles with him." Riley kissed my cheek and I felt my cheeks flare as I absently smiled. She walked over getting us a few new packs of gummy worms and vitamin water.

   "Hey, excuse me." A small petite woman approached me with her arm snaked around her folder tight as if it held a secret message.

   Instinctively Riley walked back to me, pulling me into her. I knew she was in protective mode.

   The woman was accompanied with two other women and a man who all wore sincere smiles.

   The woman that initially approached spoke. "Hi, I'm Marian. And my three friends Cindy, Michael, and Stephanie. We're not trying to invade your personal life--"

   "But you're going to." Riley was a bit on edge and I needed her to know I was alright.

   "Sweetie...let's just see what they want."

   Marian nodded her thanks. "For the last two years I've held a club called 'Brother and Sisters Barring Arms'. We've done so much to get this club started but yet we are yet unable to hold Rally's or anything as big as the other clubs, sororities or frats here, but we think we have a chance now. Through you two."