Chapter 78: Potter

Start from the beginning

"How dare you stand where he stood," Harry yelled, drawing his wand, "Tell them how it was that night. Tell then how you looked him in the eye, a man who trusted you... and killed him. Tell them!"

Snape eyed Harry for a moment, before moving as though to grab his wand. McGonagall moved forward without hesitation, pushing Harry back and sending a blast at Snape. He barely deflected it, hesitating, lowering his wand —

Another blast, this time he deflected it onto the Carrows, knocking them down. Blast, deflect, blast, deflect. He never sent a spell at McGonagall, he was on the defence. He was backing up, students had pushed themselves against walls, out of the way.

I was beside Tobias, gripping his hand tightly as I watched. Snape eyed me one last time, before flinging his cloak, disappearing in a dark mist, crashing through the windows and out into the night.

"Coward!"

McGonagall moved her wand, the torches around the hall burst into life, the room filled with cheers. I hugged Tobias tightly, refusing to let go of him, scarcely believing he was alive.

"I got your letter," he whispered, holding me against him, "Thank you."

The hall was abuzz, students discussing what had happened, McGonagall talking to Harry, Remus had come over to me, hugging me tightly. But then, the lights went out, a scream pierced the air.

I walked with Tobias towards the source, but before we reached it, another scream came. Then another. Then, a cold voice in the air.

"I know that many of you will want to fight. Some of you may even think this wise. But this is folly," it was the Dark Lord.

"I wish you no harm. I have great respect for the students of Hogwarts. I was once one myself after all. I ask for but one thing and if granted no magical blood shall be spilt... Give me Harry Potter. Do this and none shall be harmed. Give me Harry Potter and I shall leave Hogwarts untouched. Give me Harry Potter and you will be rewarded."

Silence fell as the voice disappeared, all eyes finding Harry as he stood, conflicted, when one voice rang out.

"But he's there! Potter's there! Someone grab him!" Pansy Parkinson yelled out, I saw Draco move to pull her backwards.

Students, Order members, staff. We all moved in front of Harry, protecting him from Parkinson and anyone else who shared that idea. Once the Slytherins who seemed keen for the idea backed down, we relaxed.

"Mr Filch!" McGonagall called, and he appeared instantly, "Mr Filch. Please take all the underage pupils and those who wish not to fight and evacuate them."

There were cries of disagreement, I saw as many refused to follow Filch. Namely the members of DA, all of whom were fourth years and up. Even some Slytherins elected to stay, but I saw my brother slink out, grabbing Crabbe and Goyle with him.

"I presume you have a reason for returning, Potter. What is it you need?" McGonagall asked once the hubbub died down.

"Time, as much as you can give me," Harry replied.

"Do what you must, I'll secure the castle," McGonagall said, eyeing a few teachers who immediately nodded, walking off.

I grabbed Tobias's arm, leading him out of the hall as everyone bustled around, grabbing everything and anything they needed, firing off protection spells, protecting the castle.

"I missed you," I hugged him tightly, my head buried in his shoulder.

"I was with Remus," he kissed the top of my head, "He told me everything that was happening to you. I'm so sorry."

"Listen, we can discuss that later," I steeled myself, moving backwards, "For now, let's help the teachers with protection spells."

We walked towards the front of the castle, where McGonagall was finishing off rousing statues to defend us. I moved to the side with Tobias, three teachers were manning that side, we could take the other.

"Protego Maxima. Fianto Duri. Repello Inimicum," I raised my wand at the sky, Tobias following suit, until a magical shield became visible over the castle.

"We stick together," Tobias told me once we were done, "We watch one another's backs."

"Agreed," I nodded, clenching my fists, "Stick together, don't let them win. We can do this."

I ran with him back inside Hogwarts, my heart hammering against my chest. Had Harry found the Diadem yet? Did he still have a way to destroy it? I didn't know, but Tobias and I had to get inside.

"Lyra!" Dean's yell caught me unawares, "Remus needs more wands upstairs."

"We're on our way," I yelled, nodding at Tobias and running up to the clocktower.

"Lyra," Remus hugged me the moment he saw me, "I'm so relieved you're alright."

"What about Tonks, your son?" I asked him, frowning as he released me.

"Teddy and Tonks will be just fine," he said gently, "I left them at her mothers, they are safe."

"And you better return to them," I warned him, before turning to Tobias, "If we don't both make it. Please know how much I love you, how much I hated being away from you this year. I'm so sorry."

"Hey," he brushed my hair out of my eyes, "We'll make it out, we'll watch one another's backs. We can do this."

The moment was interrupted by a volley of spells heading for the barrier. They crashed against it, the sounds muffled, yet we could still hear explosions. With that barrage, the shield wouldn't last long, we had to make the most of this quiet.

"Lyra," Remus called for me, I turned to him, "Lyra. In case we don't make it... know I'm proud of you, for everything. Leading the DA, protecting Harry from Voldemort at the Manor, stepping up to take punishments... You have grown into a fabulous young woman, and I'm honoured I got to know you."

"Remus, don't talk like that," I chided him, "We'll get through this."

I turned to where the volley of spells were coming from and gulped. I stared across the deadly throng of Death Eaters, a seemingly never-ending number. Would we be enough to stop them?

"It's the quality of one's conviction that determines success, not the number of one's followers," Remus spoke, and I turned to him.

"Who said that?" Kingsley asked.

"Me," Remus shrugged and I sighed slightly.

Remus smiled at me and I rolled my eyes, but just then, Tonks appeared. She pushed past Fred and George, leaping into Remus' arms.

"You shouldn't have," he cried, "It's Teddy who needs you!"

"He'll sleep till dawn and snores like his father," Tonk said quietly, "It's you who needs me tonight."

We stood, staring at the continuous volley of spells, wondering how long the shield would hold. I couldn't help but ask myself if my parents were on the other side of that shield. Would they fight my friends, do the Dark Lord's bidding? Or were they here for Draco and I, ready to pull us out the moment they saw us.

But as the thoughts crossed my mind, a bright flash struck the shield. I knew already whose spell it was, especially when it cracked the shield, breaking it apart. I clenched my fists, taking in a deep breath.

"It's time," I whispered to Tobias, my wand hand shaking. He gripped it tightly as we stared at the night sky, our last protection crumbling before us.

I heard yelling below us, McGonagall telling everyone to take cover, but it was too late. Dark smoke surged before us, Death Eaters were in the building already, materialising in front of us.