Chapter 73: Vandals

On return to Hogwarts, we discovered that Luna had been taken by Death Eaters for things her father was publishing about Harry. We feared for her safety, but being stuck at Hogwarts meant there was nothing we could do.

Over the holidays, with my parents fussing over me and begging me to keep my head down, I had come to an agreement with myself. Considering all my family had done to contribute to what was happening, no matter how contrite they were, I felt partially responsible. And so I had to make up for it somehow.

So I came up with an idea. I would work to shift as much blame onto me for indiscretions done by friends, and I would take as many punishments as I could. I was pureblood, the name Malfoy still meant something and I had noted that they punished half-bloods more severely than purebloods. They would never go so far as to kill me, or I hoped so, and I knew I could handle the punishments for a good length of time.

When I put my plan into action, nobody was happy.

"What are you doing?" Ginny grabbed my arm and dragged me inside the Room of Requirement after an emergency DA meeting was called, "What were you thinking?"

The room was silent, everyone was staring at me with concern. I straightened myself up, trying to act like I hadn't just about had the life beaten out of me after distracting Alecto from Neville by making a comment about the Dark Lord.

"I thought about it," I said, my voice sounding stronger than I felt, "After all my family has done, this is the least I can do. I might hate Snape, but he doesn't hate me, and he won't see me get too badly hurt. The Carrows know that as well. If I step up and take the blame every time, they have no choice but to go with it. They might take it too far with one of you, but they can't do the same for me. I'm fine."

"You don't know that for sure," Neville said, "You should have just let me take that punishment."

"Neville, I think you've had enough punishments by now," I offered him a small smile, "Don't worry about it. Besides, I'm leader of the DA. It's only right I take the punishment if I've suggested the crime."

"Lyra Malfoy, go to the headmaster's office immediately," Snape's voice boomed through the hallway outside, we all went silent when we heard it.

"Well..." I sighed, running a hand through my hair. Snape was about to kill me.

"Don't go, he won't find you here!" Seamus said.

"Look, we thought about this room differently, there's a passage out now!" Parvati Patil crossed the room, signalling to a painting, "Escape that way, you'll be safe. It leads to Hogs Head, we..."

"We spoke with the barman while you were..." Ginny paused, "Its Dumbledore's brother. He's willing to help us, keep us in contact with the Order. He knew about the passage, but didn't think we'd find it."

"Go through there and he'll get you to the Order, you'll be safe from Snape!" Neville concluded.

"I can't stay here forever nor escape. If I don't show up, he'll force one of you to talk," I forced a smile, "I'll be fine. I'll come straight back, I promise. And good thinking, regarding the Order. Let me know the second you make contact, I promise I'll be back soon."

"You've got the DA coin if there is any trouble," Neville said, "Don't hesitate to use it."

"What were you thinking?" Snape asked. It was the second time I'd had that question today.

"The Carrows won't go too far when it comes to punishing me," I said, "You said yourself, you can barely control them. They are more likely to go too far when punishing a random student, they are more careful with me. Despite my family's low position now, they know I am somewhat important to you."