Chapter Twenty Two

~Steve's POV~

Noelle smiled at me, her eyes dazed  from the drugs they were pumping into her body. "I love you," she grinned.

"I love you too-" Summer pushed the door open, holding a paper bag that smelt of grease and fat. My mouth watered at the sight, and as she handed me the treats I'd begged for, I heard myself say "I love you more."

Summer frowned, "did he just say he loves fries?"

I caught Noelle twisting to peer into the bag that was sat on my lap. She licked her lips, "Can I have one?"

Summer pushed her arm back to the bed. "Noelle, you're in hospital for severe dehydration. The doctors are medicating your levels, stop trying to eat salty foods."

Noelle sighed and stared at the drip, and gently tugged on the connecting cords. The liquid from the bag was draining into Noelles arm, and she stared at the point where the needle met her skin.

The doctor pushed the door open, and checked her levels as Summer slid her bag over her shoulder. "I should go, I have work tomorrow and I need to make sure Angie is able to get to school. Doctor, am I alright to leave these two?" She waved her phone towards me, but I struggled to be offended with a cup of chocolate milkshake between my hands.

The doctor nodded, "our patient here will be fine to leave tomorrow, we'll just make sure she's all better tonight."

Noelle began grumbling under her breath, but leant over to hug Summer anyway.

"Don't you dare cause trouble-" this time Summers phone tapped my shoulder as she walked past. "If I have to get out of bed in the middle of the night again-"

"I'm on best behaviour," I grinned. I felt giddy from the experience of being drunk in an unfamiliar place, and knowing Noelles life wasn't in danger, I felt like I could eat, then happily sleep for the rest of the night.

The door shut behind Summer and the doctor as they left the room, discussing Noelles vitals in detail.

Noelle grinned at me as she leant over the edge of the bed. "A fry?"

"Summer said..."

"Don't you love me?" Noelle pouted, "Just one?"

Her begging woke my pounding heart, and I scuttled the chair towards the bed. She sipped the milkshake as she ate a handful of the salty fries.

"I'm so tired," she mumbled.

"I'm so drunk," I hiccuped. "Look at this."

I stared at her, but she just laughed, "you're not doing anything."

"Exactly!" The world began spinning as I leant down in my chair. "I am very drunk. Drunk as a... skunk."

She giggled on the bed, before wiggling further down so she could lie on her side and face me. "I love you," she whispered. "I'm sorry about tonight."

"Don't apologise!" I pressed my lips to her forehead, then leant back and stroked the hair behind her ears, out of her eyes, "I love you."

"Steve, today was meant to be about Peggy, and I..."

"I understand." A sudden shot of sobriety forced itself to the front of my mind. "Summer mentioned Luke."

"But this shouldn't be-"

"They were our soulmates, they'll always be there Noelle."

She smiled gently, although a trace of worry lingered in her eyes.

And then I burped loudly, instantly breaking the serious atmosphere of the room.

***

Sick. I felt sick.