Chapter Thirty Four

~Steve's POV~

"And do you know why we celebrate Easter?"

Angie was dressed as a chick, with a feathered yellow skirt and a headband with eyes and a small orange mouth attached. She was clutching a soft toy rabbit, curled up on my lap.

"Because... because of Jesus."

"That's right." I stroked her hair, watching as her eyes widened at seeing her mother walk into the room.

April had brought more sunshine, more chocolate, and the eight month of pregnancy for Noelle.

And she looked amazing.

She didn't feel amazing though. She grumbled and waddled, muttering about swollen ankles and back ache.

My injuries had finally healed. I was out of the wheelchair, and  would walk without the limp in my legs. But I was still a poorly guy, and I had had two colds and a 24 hour stomach bug in the last two months.

"Mummy! It's Easter tomorrow!"

"I know." Noelle slowly lowered herself into the armchair, her legs giving way as she got lower, causing her to bounce into the cushioned seat. She wore exclusively dresses and slippers, and this morning was no exception.

Angie had wanted to buy her a present, so last week we had ventured to the shops with Sam and bought her bunny slippers, that had 3D ears sticking up from her toes.

"Are you excited to see everyone? Auntie Kristen is coming for dinner, and Babu and Bibi said they'll ring you in the morning."

"And the baby might come!" Angie squealed.

Noelle looked at me, eyes welling up already.

She hadn't slept last night. The baby was kicking, and she couldn't get comfortable. She woke me up every couple of hours by accident, and I would dry her frustrated tears and cradle her until she dozed off.

She had huge shadows under her eyes, and she rubbed at them as I answered Angie.

"The baby probably won't come tomorrow. They have some more growing to do in Mummy's tummy before they can come out here."

Angie wriggled on my lap to peer up at me, her nose scrunching up as she thought. "Its my birthday soon."

"I know," on the due date of the new baby. Noelle was worried about that too. "Have you thought about what you want?"

She shook her head, and shuffled around once more, until she was sat on my lap with her back pressed against my chest. Her hair was covering my chin and lips, but I didn't move her. She was still struggling a little with all of the change, and I wanted to be as positive as I could be.

Noelle's eyes slowly closed, her head tipping back to rest on the cushions. Angie turned around, and placed a finger on my lips, "be quiet, Mummy's sleeping."

"Mummy's just resting her eyes." Noelle replied, swatting her hand in Angie's direction.

Angie giggled, and shuffled along the sofa, tucking herself neatly into her mother's side.

"Can we give Daddy his surprise now?"

Noelle peeled an eye open, smiling at me before she looked down at Angie, "you need to speak to Brucie, ask if it's ready."

Angie leapt off the sofa without another word, then scurried back, resting her hands on Noelle's leg, "can I use the big phone."

"Ask Daddy nicely."

Angie turned to me, small fingers wrapping around the fabric of my trousers. "Daddy, please can I use the big phone?"

"Okay." I glanced at Noelle, who had actually fallen asleep now, and watched as Angie walked to the small table near the lift and picked up an old style phone. I hadn't used it since I moved in - everyone could be contacted by mobile or JARVIS - but it made sense to me that Angie would be fascinated by it.