Chapter Twelve

~Steve's POV~

"You have to be nice."

Bucky pouted jokingly, "damn. I planned on being really mean to your soulmate."

Amelie slapped his shoulder, and shook her head with a small smile. "We'll be nice Steve."

"And don't tell her embarrassing things about me." I added, noting Amelies raised eyebrows directed at Bucky. "I like her-"

"You love her." Bucky gushed, leaning to the side. "Look at him doll, he's all grown up and falling in love."

Amelie beamed, as she leant over the bar top. "Our little boy is flying the nest."

I grumbled, and walked back to the door, leaving the two laughing at my back. I was desperate for them to make a good impression on Noelle. They'd met briefly several times, but they never actually got to talk, and Bucky and Amelie were pretty much the only family I had left.

Noelle's sisters had invited her down to Amelies bar for an evening of karaoke and drinking. She'd readily agreed, as she didn't often get the chance to let her hair down, and had quickly invited me along too.

I was already going to go; karaoke night at Amelies bar was always good entertainment, and as the Avengers had practically taken over as the closing acts of the night, the date had been in my calendar for a week already.

I was going to ask her, but just like everything, she had beaten me to it.

I walked slowly to Noelle's. She didn't live close to the bar, but I had promised to keep her safe and walk her to and from the event. Her sisters lived further away, and used expensive taxis to drive around the city in the evenings. Whilst that would be an ideal way home, it wasn't exactly cold, and Noelle had mentioned loving evening walks but never felt safe enough to fully embrace them. As I wouldn't be drunk, I had volunteered my services to look after her.

As I approached her door, a young man stepped out of the flat next to hers. He glanced at me, giving me a simple nod, before walking up to Noelle's door. I hung back, a little confused, but waited for the door to open.

Noelle appeared seconds later, looking incredibly beautiful. Her hair lay in soft waves around her face, and her glasses were perched in front of made up eyes. She greeted the young man, and was about to shut the door when she noticed me. "You're early."

She held it open as I walked forward. I ran my hand down her side, pressing my lips to the top of her head as she beamed up at me. "Am I not allowed to be early?"

"I'm not quite ready, are you okay just sitting for a bit? Make yourself at home." She patted my chest before marching back towards her room, calling over her shoulder as she did. "Angie, Marcus is here."

The young man, Marcus, was waiting with open arms as Angie skidded into the living room, wrapping her arms around his legs.

Then she caught sight of me, and pushed him away to charge at me. I swept her into my arms, and spun her several times as she shrieked playfully near my ear. "Happy to see me?" I asked, as I tucked a curling strand of her hair behind her ear.

She nodded, and climbed down my body until she was stood confidently at my leg. "Are you staying too? With Marcus?"

Marcus laughed from his seat on the sofa, "Angie darling, he's the reason I'm here. Mummy's going out for the night remember? That's why I'm hanging out with you."

Angie pouted, "Will you come home?"

"Home?" I frowned, and glanced around the room we were stood in. "I might be, we'll see."