Prompt #46 ~ Mako - Aladdin AU (Angsty-ish)

46. Requester's choice!

This AU is based on Aladdin, Disney's 1992 film

This AU is based on Aladdin, Disney's 1992 film. Some text is actually an excerpt from the transcript. I do not own Aladdin, nor the text from the film. Enjoy! 

Nobody ever saw his face. He was careful not to let anyone get that close, not even his friends. He always wore a tattered red cloak; it was almost like a calling card. If you saw a blur of red and the slender shadow of a man disappearing into the alley, you would know it was Mako.

Mako had lived on the streets all his life, first living in and out of dilapidated orphanages with his brother Bolin. Then roaming the streets, trying to survive on what they could steal. They had never known their parents. Maybe that lack of parental affection was what drove Mako to become a pickpocket, or maybe it was the desire to have something for himself, to call his own (even if it wasn't actually his).

"Mako!" Bolin called happily. Pabu, his fire ferret rested on his shoulder. Mako had just returned home from a day scavenging in the local market, his bag filled with stale bread and lopsided fruit. He had even managed to snatch a shiny gold bangle, and he knew it could be sold for a pretty penny.

"Yes Bolin?" He tossed his younger brother a stale loaf of bread, Bolin caught it and smiled, breaking off a chunk for his little pet.

"I saw her again, Princess Asami! She's gorgeous." Bolin looked star struck. He always had an affinity for the royalty of the kingdom, even if they could give a crap about the lowly people living in poverty.

"Yeah whatever. The Sato's don't care for us. If they did don't you think they'd try and use even a small part of their endless fortune to help build up this end of the city? Or maybe even just help feed the orphans?" Bolin looked down at the bread in his hand. Mako's shoulders slumped.

"I'm sorry Bolin." He walked over and sat down next to his brother, wrapping an arm around his shoulder. "I shouldn't take my frustration out on you, you just know how much I hate the royalty of this damn city." His brother nodded, but still seemed sad. Mako sighed.

"Tell me about her." Bolin's eyes gleamed with pure happiness.

"Oh my gosh! She's so pretty! Her perfect green eyes are so kind! And her dress just seemed to flow in the wind!" If it were possible, Mako knew that Bolin would have hearts in his eyes. He's only seen the princess from behind, so he took his brother's word for it. He smiled lightly.

"I'm gonna go sell this and see how much I can get for it." Bolin nodded. Mako pulled his hood up, ducking out of the rooftop shack they found for shelter. He grabbed the rope and swung down onto the next building over, being careful to tie the rope up so he could climb back up. The tall slender teenage boy peaked over the edges, taking care none of the royal guards were patrolling. Once he knew he was safe, he quickly climbed onto the ledge and hopped down into the alley, making sure nobody was around. He couldn't let anyone know who he was. He could see the black cloth that hung above the fence.* Once he swung down to the side door, he knocked three times, the sign that he was outside.