44. HE'S GOING TO BE ALRIGHT

| CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR |

HE'S GOING TO BE ALRIGHT.

THE THIRD AND FINAL TASK came sooner than anyone could expect. Natasha could read Cedric like an opened book, and he was more than nervous (even though he refused to admit it; hoping that if he kept the confession bottled up, he wouldn't have to feel like that). She was nervous too, the maze that the four champions were about to go into looked terrifying and whenever she would look at it, a shiver ran down her spine. 

Natasha (with the help of Theo, Rosie and Grace) all tried their best to distract Cedric leading up to the last task, they spend time together in the kitchens, Natasha, Theo and Cedric flew around on their broomsticks , knowing that the wind blowing in their faces, tinting their cheeks a pale red was something that helped all of them relax. They all went on a few triple dates to Hogsmeade, and they all seemed to end with Cedric and Natasha sneaking off somewhere else for a quiet, relaxing walk. 

Cedric was more than thankful for his friends and girlfriend, he knew that if they weren't doing anything he would be shitting himself as the third task came closer and closer. But luckily, the anxiety only seemed to peak when Cedric's eyes landed on the maze, his body cladded in his yellow champion's uniform, the loud cheering of the crowds sounding like an echo as his wide eyes looked at the maze. Cedric snapped out of his gaze when a hand placed itself firmly on his shoulder, snapping his head to the side, he looked at his grinning father, a proud glint in his eyes as he congratulated him once again.

Natasha sat in between Rosie and Grace in the stands. She wore Cedric's Quidditch uniform jacket, one with his name written across the back, her knee bouncing up and down anxiously. She knew Cedric was strong (he did get through all the other tasks no problem), but, there was just something nagging at her in the back of her head, something that made her stomach flip.

"He's going to be alright," Rosie reassured her friend, pressing her hand onto Nat's knee to stop it from shaking.

Natasha let out a shaky breath and nodded, "Of course he is," She said, trying to convince herself as much as possible. He was going to be okay. Cedric was going to be okay.

Dumbledore cleared his throat and the crowd instantly quietened down, "Earlier today, Professor Moody placed the Triwizard Cup within the maze. Only he knows its exact position."

Natasha's eyes travelled over to the professor, her eyebrows furrowing as she watched him acting much more fidgety. 

"Now, Mr. Diggory is in first place--" Dumbledore was cut off by Theo's loud cheering and it didn't take long for Natasha, Rosie and Grace to join in, the man chuckled under his breath before continuing when the four friends finally calmed down, "He will be the first one to enter the maze. Followed closely by Mr. Potter. Then by Mr. Krum and Miss. Delacour."

Loud cheering came from the left side of the stands where the guys from Durmstrang began chanting, 'Krum! Krum! Krum!' whilst banging an incredibly loud drum. 

"The first person to touch the Cup will be the winner! I've instructed the staff to patrol the perimeter, if at any point should a contestant wish to withdraw from the task, he or she need only send up red sparks with their wands," Dumbledore announced. He finally turned away from the crowd to look at the four champions, "Contestants, gather around."

Natasha watched as Cedric, Harry, Fleur and Krum all walked over to the Headmaster of Hogwarts. She couldn't make out what he was saying, but it took a fair few minutes before Dumbledore patted each one of them on the back before they returned back to their original positions, all of them paled faces and wide eyed.

"I wonder what Dumbledore said to them," Grace muttered curiously.

"By the looks of it, it wasn't good," Natasha stated, feeling anxiety bubbling in her stomach. Her eyes suddenly locked onto a pair of grey ones and without hesitation she sent him a reassuring smile and a thumbs up.

"Champions!" Professor Moody yelled, "Prepare yourself!"

Cedric was the first one to break the eye contact as he turned around, his back now facing the crowd. Natasha took in a deep breath as she watched an opening in the maze emerged right in front of her boyfriend. Cedric very briefly glanced back over his shoulder, before finally stepping foot into the maze. Almost as soon as he walked in, the opening suddenly closed back up, leaving absolutely no evidence that he was there in the first place.