Revenants

DURING FREELANCER MANY YEARS AGO....

In a security office, a television screen is playing while an Insurrection soldier is sleeping with his feet propped up on the desk.

Stu Stuman: And now the moment you've all been waiting for, from the far distant system of Sanghelios...I hope I'm pronouncing that correctly, the bad boys of ; Team Heretic! And your home playing favorites; Slipspace!

Delta appears and startles the Insurrectionist, waking him up.

Delta: I hate to intrude, but you have not performed any work in the past 13 minutes and 42 seconds. That strikes me as rather inefficient.

Station Guard: Oh uh, sorry I was just trying to uh, yeah, how how do you get a new window? You know, like the, you know, like a new window, what's the button thing for that, you know?

Delta: I believe the keys you are looking for are Alt, Tab.

Station Guard: Oh yeah, thanks little guy. Wait, who are you? You don't look like the normal holo-projection.

Delta: That is because I am the A.I. designated as Delta, from Project Freelancer.

Station Guard: Wait, you're from Project, Freelancer? Wait, aren't those the bad guys?

Delta: There is no need for name calling. I submit that Project Freelancer is neither good nor bad, much like your own forces. We are merely two groups dedicated to obtaining different results.

Station Guard: Whoa man that's, that's deep... Its like-it's like there's different universes but you know there's-

York grabs the Station Guard by the shoulder.

York: Don't encourage him, he's already long-winded as it is.

York slams the Station Guard's head on the desk and he flips onto the ground.

York: Thank God. I thought you two would never stop chit-chatting.

York begins typing on the computer.

Delta: I'm not sure that was entirely necessary. He seemed open to the logic I presented him. Perhaps he would have allowed us to carry on our mission.

York: (sarcastically) Sorry I knocked out your new friend. Now you two will never get to have a beer together.

Delta: I believe that would have been unlikely, regardless.

York activates a holographic lock.

York: Show time.

Director: (via radio) Come in Agent York, are you in?

York begins to access the holographic lock.

York: Yes, sir. These guys love their holographic locks. I'll let Delta take a peek in their system while I try to disable it manually. (gets off radio) You're up D.

Delta: Curious.

York: What's curious? That's code for bad, isn't it?

Delta: I have detected an anomaly inside of the system, something that is not supposed to be there. Diverting sub-routines to investigate.

York: Don't get too curious in there, I need your attention on this lock.

Delta: Do not worry Agent York, I have already rectified several instances where you would have tripped the alarm system.