Chapter 26. How Could You?

Stormie's POV

"We really did it?" I said, and smiled.

Avery and I were on an old walking bridge not far from his house that crossed a creek. The water rushed beneath us. It was such a soothing sound. 

"We did it," he said.

We stopped in the middle of the bridge and watched the water. Avery's arms wrapped around my waist. My head rested against his chest.

"It feels so good and so strange at the same time not to have to hide it from anyone anymore," I said. "School is going to be weird. I don't think we should tell anyone about the pregnancy thing, though. Well, that was mom's idea, but I agree."

"It's probably better to hide it for as long as we can," Avery agreed. "There's no point in telling the entire school right away. You do know when all of this comes out, you are going to be the center of attention for god knows how long."

"That's why I want to hide it," I admitted. "I'm sure that people finding out that we're together is going to receive us enough attention as it is. Of course, you're used to it."

"Just ignore it," he said. "I do most of the time."

"Whatever," I teased. "You love it. Everyone loves you."

"They don't even know me," he argued.

I turned to face him.

He caressed my cheek with his hand. His thumb brushed over my bottom lip. "In a few years, I won't even remember half of their names. What matters is what is in front of me. I've never cared about who liked me and didn't like me," he said.

I swallowed hard. "Do you do that on purpose?" I teased.

"Do what?" he asked, confused.

"Tell me things that make me fall for you harder."

He chuckled and shook his head. "I mean it."

"For having such a big head, you kind of don't have that big of ahead," I teased.

He rolled his eyes. He lowered his lips to mine and kissed me fiercely. The kiss made me fly in a way that I never did before. It was the first time that I really realized that we didn't have to hide things anymore. 

We broke apart breathlessly. 

"I'm starving," I said. "Feed me."

He laughed. "Yes, ma'am." He grabbed my hand in his, and we walked back down the bridge toward his house. "What do you want?" 

"Mexican," I said.

He raised his eyebrows. "Babe, you never eat Mexican."

I shrugged. "You do."

"Um, so?" 

"It's your spawn that wants it," I said.

He threw his head back and laughed. 

***

Everyone stared at us as we walked down the hall, hand in hand. We knew that we would be the topic of gossip for at least the first day back. He squeezed my hand when he felt my tension. My gaze locked with his, and he gave me a reassuring smile.

We stopped at my locker, and I turned to face him.

He pecked me on the lips. "See you later."

"Bye," I murmured.

"Let me know if you need me."

"Yeah."

He squeezed my hand and walked away from me.