"We like to play - but there are certain conditions we have to play in. Alice believes there will be a thunderstorm in an hour, though I know not to doubt her I'm not convinced."

Wren looks behind Carlisle at the blue sky. "She can be wrong can't she?"

"Yes, but usually about people's paths, not set things like the weather." He says, chuckling. "Let's go find you rain gear."

-

Wren sits on the hood of Emmetts jeep, watching as the blurry figures rush around the very large baseball field. She can see why they need the thunderstorm - each crack of the bat makes her jump, no matter how many times she hears it. She smiles warmly as she sees Jasper making his way over, the wolf (who knew they were real!?) Jacob phasing to take his place.

"Hi. Tired, are we?" Wren asks.

Jasper smiles, climbing up beside her. "Yes ma'am, exhausted." He plays along. "I thought I'd keep you company."

Wren raises an eyebrow. "That's very kind, sir, but I'm not as stupid as I appear. You're an empath, so I'm guessing you've been analysing me lately?" She raises her eyebrows with a smirk.

Jasper laughs. "Caught me, dammit!" He tuts. "But yes ma'am, I have... I just wanted to make sure you're okay?"

Wren hesitates, looking across the field to Carlisle. "I mean..."

"He's distracted, I promise. He's too focused on the game, he's not let loose in a while. He's young at heart, he needs things like this from time to time."

Wren nods in agreement. "That, I agree with." She sighs and looks at Jasper as she hugs her knees. "Am I holding him back, Jasper?"

"In what way?" He asks, frowning.

"Is he holding himself back to be with me? He said he doesn't hunt much because of me, he doesn't do things like this or see you guys because of me. Am I stopping him from being himself?" She whispers, looking at the muddy ground.

Jasper shakes his head. "No, I don't think so. In terms of living, he's lived almost 400 years, so many lifetimes and experiences fit into that; now in terms of things like this, those are his decisions. Carlisle is 23 and he always will be no matter how he denies that. He forgets he's young and free, that he doesn't need to be the grown up, that the world exists outside of us. He's always so focused on us and making sure we're okay that he never took time for himself. Hunting was his time. Now? Now he wants to spend his time with you."

Wren blushes as Jasper keeps talking. "My father was always hard to be around for me, emotions wise. Hunger was easy around him because he didn't really feel it. But every other emotion, especially loneliness, was unbearable. The weight of the world was on his shoulders when it didn't have to be... When he walked into our lives again after he met you I almost didn't recognise him. He felt hope. Hope for a future he didn't want."

Wren smiles small. "That puts a lot of pressure on me..."

"How so?" Jasper asks curiously. That isn't what he intended...

Wren takes a deep breath and looks across the field. "He sees a future... Maybe one that I don't. Being like you guys is, no offence, a sickening thought to me. I don't think I want that. Where does that leave him 10, 20 years down the line when I'm so much older than him? When I get old? If and when I die? I can't bear the thought of that pain it'll cause him. Or the pain it'll cause me if I can't be what he wants. "

"That's the beautiful thing about love, Wren... You can live in the moment. You know my story, yes?" He asks, watching as she nods at him, looking up at him. "When I left my life I had never felt so lost. I had nothing in my life. And then, as if out of nowhere, my Alice appeared. Right when I needed her." He smiles fondly at the memory. "She saw me coming, of course, but I was surprised beyond anything. And then it got me thinking - what did I do to deserve her? Why would she wish to be with a monster like me?"

"You are not a monster, Jasper Hale." Wren says firmly.

Jasper chuckles small. "Thank you, ma'am, I know that now. But back then that's all I saw in myself. She bought out the best in me, she made me wanna try and live this life I'd been given. I had no idea what the future held and despite her gift neither did she." He shrugs small, looking at her briefly across the field as she runs, a smile on his face. "That's the beauty of love, Wren. We don't know what we'll feel tomorrow, or next week, or 10 years down the line. We don't know what will happen or who we'll be. Live for today. Love him like there's no tomorrow. Whatever happens beyond that, you face it as it comes."

Wren is silent for a moment before she smiles. "You're a wise one, Mr Hale."

Jasper chuckles. "Thank you. Now, how about I show you one of the cool things about this life?"

Wren giggles. "You're one."

He jumps down and instructs her to climb in his back, which she does so hesitantly. A scream leaves her lips as he takes off running to join in the game, Carlisle instantly breaking out of his thoughts in a panic. He smiles when he sees she's okay, no harm has come to her, and when she laughs he laughs too. "Don't break my girl, Jasper!"

"No promises, pa!" He yells back.