CHAPTER FOURTEEN

His tribal marks, which were slantly carved on both cheeks, became evident as he drew nearer. He tightened his grip on the cutlass as he approached us. I was ensnared by fright and was enable to move or do anything than shiver and hope nothing bad happened.

I watched as he fixed his gaze ahead of us; he passed us by and it was like we weren't even there. I heaved a sigh of relief, holding my chest as though my heart was going to fall. I could see a similar relief in morenikeji's face. I wondered where he was headed looking so infuriated. My wandered mind imagined he was going out, seeking another young girl to destroy. I paused and watched him as he zoomed off.

“Àṣàkẹ́, jẹ́ á ma lọ” (Asake, let's get going), she  said as she nudged me

          The feeling was familiar. I felt as nervous as I did the first time I came here. Students were scarcely dispersed, assembly was over and everyone was in their classrooms. I simpered in and walked dramatically, an attempt to do 'shakara' for the tall man who was taking his period. He was the same man from the other day who frantically objected our admission into the school. I instantly forgot how to walk, with all the stares I got from the other students.

“Eisss! Come back here! Where do you think you're going?”, he raised his voice, pulled his glasses down a little with his finger, with his eyes bulging annoyingly behind the foggy lenses. We both ignored him. Afterall, we had no idea what he said, though we knew he referred to us.

“Ṣétí n yí di ni?! Kí wọ́n tó ma rìn bíi pẹ́pẹ́yẹ” (Are you deaf?! See how they are walking like ducks).

“Ẹ mábìínu sir” (Don't be annoyed, we're sorry sir), I turned and rolled my eyes.

“Sorry for yourself! Go and sit down!”, he said angrily waving his cane to and fro. I happened to find a seat beside the girl who inspired me to go on this journey. I felt intrigued, and desperately wanted to be her friend.

Finally! The balance I wanted was here. The number of girls in the class was almost equal to that of the boys, following the admission of more girls. As I sat on the not so comfortable bench, Folake walked in, not with her two legs. She supported herself on two wooden crutches on both sides of her arm, with a white material wrapped around the wounded foot. She was in her uniform which I begged someone to help me give her. She struggled to walk in, the crutch system needed some getting used to. The still atmosphere that was triggered by her presence soon became an exuberant one. Many people laughed at her inability to walk properly. I felt a gentle but painful thrust in my heart, why were people that heartless? I watched the girl I wanted to be friends with, laugh hard. My conscience pricked me, I couldn't help but feel guilty. I stood from my seat to assist her.

“Óga o. Oríṣiríṣi la ṣáà ń rí, arọ náà tún lọ school” (This is serious o. We've just been seeing different things, a crippled person too is coming to school), the teacher jested. I felt a rush of rage, but didn't know what to say, or didn't want to create a scene. Somehow, I wished I could insult him in english, such that would have left the entire class jaw-hanging.

“Okay! Okay!”, he raised his voice as he banged the cane on the table before him.

“The new students should stand up”. There was silence, and no response. Some of the girls stood up after being nudged by the other students. I had no idea what was going on.

“I forgot you don't understand english”, he shook his head, “ẹ̀yin tẹ ṣẹ̀ṣẹ̀ dé, ẹ dìde dúró” (you new students should stand up). It was then it made sense to me. I stood reluctantly. It was there I understood what 'stand up' meant, after he emphasized on it. I was glad I was gradually learning something.