CHAPTER FIVE

Rumors spread around the village that Mr John was in a relationship with Ọmóladé who happened to be the King's only daughter. Omolade was among the most beautiful ladies at that time. She had charming eyes, and her beauty would light the darkest soul. It was believed that no man in the village deserved to have her as wife. She bore and earned the title of a princess, and kings of other communities desired to marry her.

They were often seen together holding hands and laughing. Apparently, their relationship was beyond friendship. They would often meet at the stream for long hours.

Màámi, who was ignorant of the whole issue, had accepted what fate brought her way.
It's been 2 months since she left mama Bolu's place. Having no other place to stay, she decided to stay with a generous woman known as yẹ̀yẹ́ abiamo. She was without child but was known for her generosity. She was wealthy, and owned quite a number of houses. She helped a number of homeless girls and women find a roof over their heads, though this gesture wasn't without a cost. They would help her handle some chores, trades and activities daily, depending on which they were appointed to. This was how they could secure shelter and food.

Màámi was appointed to wash clothes everyday. This was almost similar to her experience at mama bolu's place, except it was less stressful and the woman in charge was not stern with her.

"Ìwọ ọ̀tíìgbọ́ ni?" (haven't you heard?), a lady stormed at where màámi was busy with some clothes.

"Pé kíni?" (that what?), she asked confusedly.

"Ọkọ ọ̀ rẹ, brọ̀dá jọ́ǹnù, ọ̀wun àti ọmọ ọba tiń fẹ́ra" (your husband, brother John, is in a relationship with the king's daughter).

My mother's heart skipped a beat. She didn't want to believe what she heard. It should be a rumor, she thought.

"Irọ́ ni jàre" (it's a lie), màámi snapped at her, "mo mọ ọkọ tí mo ní, ó fẹ́rànmi gidi gan". (I know my husband, he really loves me). She chose to trust him even though he had not checked up on her, not even once from over 2 months since they last spoke.

"Irọ́ àbí? Ẹẹ̀ rọ́dẹ̀. Ó dámilójú wípé ibi odò yẹn lótún wà" (you think I'm lying? See this fool. I'm very sure they are at the stream again). The lady was getting pissed off.

This was beginning to look real, and màámi got very nervous.

"Odò àbì?" (The stream right?), my mother asked, feeling worried.

"Máa bimí" (keep asking me), she hissed and left.

Màámi, who wasn't comfortable anymore, jumped up and ran straight to the stream. A lot of thoughts ran across her mind, she wasn't sure what she would do if this turned out to be true.

She was shocked! The child in her womb leaped for despair, the cool breeze sympathized with her. What was this she was seeing? Mr John and the princess tightly cuddled? It was a scary sight for her.

"Táyọ̀!Táyọ̀!", she called out, still in a shock.

The princess was shocked seeing her too, but it seemed the only person not moved by this wave of electrocution was Mr John.

"Ẹ̀hẹ́n? Kílódé tì o fí ń pẹ̀ mí?" (yes? Why are you calling me?), he said, holding the princess's hands, who was about running away.

"Kílódé tí èmi fí ń pẹ̀ ọ́? Kínì wọ ń ṣe níbí pẹ̀lú ọmọladé?" (Are you really asking why I'm calling you? What are you doing here with omolade?)

Mr John burst into laughter.

"You See, this person you're looking at here, is my wife to be".

If màámi didn't understand anything in what he said, she understood wife. This infuriated her the more.