5. A Secret to Keep

Start from the beginning

"H-Hai..?" she manages to say. Horio who was now standing in front too-- he volunteered to be the secretary for the meeting-- moves, eyes glinting with mirth as he wrote the prince of tennis' name on the blackboard. Sakuno's confused eyes widened in shock, taking her time to stare at the writings on the board. She saw the list where Ryoma's name was written: Scarers/Ghosts. Her vision darted to the uppermost center of the board where their booth was already, apparently decided.

Class 2's Horror House Booth

She blinked multiple times.

"Okay, so with Ryuzaki-san's vote, it's decided that Echizen-kun would be one of the scarers." Asahina continued his talk. "Any more volunteers?"

"Eh?" Sakuno gasped, instantly looking over the tennis prince's seat. He was scowling at Horio's direction. Horio gulped nervously, regretting his jesting demeanor while writing his name earlier. Sakuno felt sorry for their uni-browed friend. It was her mistake, after all. If only she paid attention to the topic and at least tried to understand the expectant look that Ryoma gave her.

"Gomen, Ryoma-kun..." she silently murmured in apology to his direction.

--------------------------------

 Time went by quickly, and there's only a week left before the school festival begins. Everybody seemed frantic, with empty spaces and classrooms filled with building projects, with performance practices every break times, to the haul of unfinished crafts that some people even continue to do at home. All in all, it was busy. With club activities temporarily suspended to give way for class booth preparations, Ryoma found himself painting one of their backgrounds on one corner of the classroom while he absentmindedly nods to the conversations that Horio tries to make while painting another prop.

"Oi, are you listening, Echizen?" Horio asks and Ryoma only grunts in passive reply as he continued to brush over the chocolate brown paint over the plywood. He just dipped the paintbrush on one of the paint cans, a bit forceful so the meager amount left, splashed a bit. He glances up to hopefully find the person in charge of the paint supply, only for his eyes to meet with rich chocolate brown pools that he hasn't stared at for a long time.

"Chocolate..." he unconsciously muttered, blinking at Ryuzaki Sakuno who stood before him. Brows furrowed in curiosity, "Ryuzaki..?"

"Ryoma-kun..." she replies with a small smile, and Ryoma looks around to Horio who appeared to be saying, 'I did try to tell you.' with his deadpan expression. He sets aside his paintbrush before he stood.

"What is it, Ryuzaki?"

"Ah... Eto," she fishes something in her pocket, "I... I was wondering whether I can take your measurements?"

"Measurements..?" he asks, unsure eyes turned at her.

Ryuzaki immediately stiffens up, face slowly reddening as she flails her hand in denial, "I-It's for your costume... a-as a scarer..."

"Oh." He mouths in realization, "Sure."

"So Ryuzaki is assigned to the sewing of costumes, huh?" Horio joins in, "Why is Echizen only getting his measurements now? I thought it was supposed to be done last week?"

"Ah... That's because... How do I say it?" Ryuzaki was holding a tape measure as Ryoma thoughtfully set aside the plywood he was painting so it doesn't get in anyone's way, "I think everyone thinks it's hard to approach Ryoma-kun..."

At Ryuzaki's explanation, Ryoma quirk's an eye brow, looking at Ryuzaki incredulously as Horio simply replied, "I see. That explains it."

"That explains what?" Ryoma couldn't help his grumpy retort. He couldn't fathom why anyone would be scared of him.