pre-season 1: trusting you was my biggest mistake

Start from the beginning

  Since Talia's dad left, however, Rafe had changed. She hated to admit it, but Rafe was the first one she went to after she had gotten the letter from her dad, explaining that he left and he didn't plan to come back. He comforted her and was there when she needed him to be, which counted for something. It doesn't negate the fact that he's hurt her in the past, Talia knew that, but right now she needed someone to be her shoulder to cry on, and Rafe was that.

After a short drive, the Thornton women drove up the long driveway leading to the club, Maria's natural habitat. As they approached, Talia mentally prepared herself for the stares she knew she was going to receive. Not only for her father's departure, but since the news that she had been hanging around with the 'delinquents' from the Cut. Talia didn't care about what they thought, she would just rather not every move she made be examined under the microscope of the Outer Banks high society.

  As their car pulled up to the front entrance, two valets ran to the doors, opening them for both women and helping them out. Talia smiled in thanks, and shielded her eyes from the setting sun as she walked towards the door. As her mother tried to best not to stumble, mother and daughter walked in side by side through the door. As if on cue, the room went silent and all eyes fell on them. Talia wanted nothing more than to walk right back out the door, and she was about to, but she was soon wrapped up in a hug, breaking the heavy feeling that had settled in the room.

"Had to do something to break up the awkwardness, Christ, you could cut the tension like butter." Sarah Cameron whispered into Talia's ear, making her slightly smile in relief. Sarah and Talia's relationship was much like Talia and Rafe's, unstable. They had been close when they were children, almost like sisters, but after the situation with Kiara, Talia stayed loyal to her rather than Sarah. The girls were cordial with each other, even friendly, but when they fought, it was explosive. She had been seeing more of her since Sarah had started dating Talia's brother, Topper, and the teens were getting back onto somewhat nice terms with each other. Right now, Talia was very thankful for her.

"Yeah, tell me about it." Talia breathed out, letting go of the girl and giving her a thankful smile. Not far behind her was Topper, who nodded towards his sister.

"Talia." Was all he said, taking a sip of whatever he was drinking, scanning over the room to see if anyone was still staring. She nodded back, unsure of what to do. Her and her brother's relationship had gone through a lot in the past month, with lots of screaming matches and fights occurring. Their sibling bond was never strong to begin with, but she hoped this traumatic event would bring them closer, but it only pushed them apart.

Sarah looked at the two siblings in shock. "Could you two at least act like you like each other?" She asked, and Talia scratched the back of her neck, not making eye contact with her brother.

"I think that's my cue to get a drink. Excuse me." Talia left the couple, hearing Sarah say to Topper that he should at least try to act like normal siblings would act with Talia, but it was no use. The chance for them to act as siblings with a healthy relationship would was long gone.

  After convincing the weak-willed bartender she was of legal drinking age, she sipped on her vodka soda as she glanced around the party, already bored out of her mind.

"Nice to see you still know how to dress, even though you're hanging out with Pogues." A voice whispered in her ear, a voice she knew well. She smirked while sipping her drink, turning to face Rafe Cameron. His light hair was slicked back and usual, and he looked uncomfortable in his jet black suit. He fiddled with his cuff links, as if he was nervous.