00 i have a historically high alcohol tolerance

KILDARE ISLAND, OUTER BANKS, NORTH CAROLINA, SUMMER OF 2018

"ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THIS, KIE? YOU'VE TOLD ME COUNTLESS TIMES ABOUT HOW YOUR FRIENDS HAVE A BURNING HATRED FOR KOOKS." Talia Thornton lamented to her friend as they drove through the Cut. Kiara had insisted she go and hang out with her friends that night, claiming Talia had become a 'bore' recently.

Kiara rolled her eyes, her long, curly hair blowing in the wind from the open windows of her car. "Please, Tal, I barely consider you a Kook. Once they get to know you, they'll love you." She reassured her friend, who watched out the window with a nervous look on her face.

"And, this gives you a chance to take your mind off of things." Kiara mumbled, to which Talia sighed. Two weeks before, Talia's father had left her and her family in the dust for a significantly younger woman on the mainland. It's not like her and her father were extremely close, but compared to her mother, Talia's father was an angel. He saw her for who she was, unlike his wife who only saw their daughter as first runner-up to their son, Topper.

"Well, god knows I need that." Talia lightly smiled at her friend, who gave her a wide smile back. In the past two weeks, she had barely left her bedroom, only going to the kitchen to eat and watch her mother drink herself into oblivion. Her brother had bounced around his friends houses, not really wanting to be home watching his mother and sister deteriorate in front of him. Talia didn't blame him, she hated what her life was turning into, which is why she agreed to come with Kiara tonight.

As the girls pulled into a driveway of a small house, Talia's palms began to sweat. She was a pretty outgoing person, but recent events had made her more nervous about what people thought about her. If she wasn't good enough for either of her parents to give her the time of day, would she be enough for anyone?

"I apologize in advance for the boys, they can be a handful sometimes." Kiara told her as they climbed the steps and through the screened in porch. It was littered with couches and chairs, none of them matching. Talia smiled slightly. She could already tell this place was different from houses in Figure Eight that her parents friends owned, which she hated. Those houses were always so stuffy with the polished silverware, starched tablecloths, and dining china that was only to look at. This looked like a house someone actually lived in, with a couch that looked like it had been recently sat on and unwashed dishes in the sink.

"Hello? Anyone here?" Kiara called, with no answer. Moments later, a gruff-looking man with a scraggly beard and big glasses came out of a bedroom, a distressed look on his face. He gave a light smile to the girl.

"Hey Kie. Boys are on the dock." He told her, rushing past them and towards what looked like to be an office. Before he went in, he stopped suddenly and turned to Talia.

"Who are you?" He asked her, his eyebrows knitting together in confusion. Startled by his reaction, it took a moment for Talia to respond.

"U-Uh, Talia Thornton, sir. I'm a friend of Kiara's." She responded quickly, and he nodded.