Chapter 5: 'Fragile'

3rd Person POV:

Luz woke up to the sound of her blaring alarm. She let out a groan and reached over to snooze it. She had to go to school, but she couldn't bring herself to get out of bed. Last night wasn't a good night, she had stayed up until 1 AM. She didn't know why she did, she just couldn't sleep. Her mind was racing with millions of thoughts.

Luz eventually pulled the covers off of her bed and exposed herself to the cold room and shivered a bit. She sat herself up and stood, stretching her arms and neck. Luz had been having problems sleeping lately, ever since the day her dad text her. She hasn't responded to him, she didn't know what to say. Every time she would unlock her phone, it would be there, almost staring back at her with eyes full of guilt and regret. She tried to ignore it the best she could. She couldn't tell her mom about it, of course, that would just strike another argument and Luz didn't want to hear any more of those.

Luz went through her normal morning routine; brushing her teeth and hair, washing her face, getting dressed, and making breakfast. Luz's alarm went off a little earlier today, so she had time to make herself some eggs and bacon. As she ate at the dining table, she scrolled through Instagram. The girl's softball team had won, so she saw a couple of post of that on Boscha's and Amity's page. When she finished her breakfast, she washed her hands before walking out of the house. Luz felt the slight gusts of wind outside, it felt nice and refreshing. Luz had always enjoyed the fall season, it was perfect and beautiful.

As Luz walked to school, she saw plenty of people outside. They were either walking their dogs or just enjoying the day outside on the porch. She waved to some of them, giving them a warm smile. Luz was always nice to strangers and gave them small compliments or waves. You may never know what people are going through, and maybe a simple smile could help someone's day. The Latina had made it to the front doors of the school, taking in a deep breath of fresh air before walking in. She was met by the familiar scent of cinnamon, which she still found uncommon. As Luz walked down the main hall, she noticed people loitering around the lockers and talking to one another. There was also the occasional couple that was tongue-deep in each other throats. Luz cringed at them but made her way to the library where she would meet Amity.

Today was the day she would show Amity the portrait of her, Luz hoped she liked it. Luz was very proud of this one, and it was definitely her favorite one so far. Luz threw open the library doors, the strong scent of peppermint in the air. She cut through the corners and passed the shelves until she reached the desk where Amity usually sat. When Luz saw the Blight, her stomach immediately turned upside-down. She was nervous, but she didn't know why. Luz was sure she was going to like the portrait, but there was always a small possibility she would think it's garbage. She let out a deep breath before walking towards the desk and sitting down.

Amity was caught by surprise at the sudden movement, looking over to look at Luz's iconic smile. Amity panicked for a quick second, closing the journal she had opened. "Oh Luz, you're here!" she rushed out. "Hi, Ami," Luz said, unzipping her backpack and pulling out a folder. Amity looked curiously at it, wondering what she was doing. "Close your eyes," Luz directed. Amity raised an eyebrow, still curious. "Just trust me, ok," Luz said. Amity gave her a small nod and covered her eyes with her hands. "And no peaking," She heard Luz say, scrummaging through the folder. Amity chuckled and waited for Luz to give her a signal.

"Found it," Amity heard Luz whisper under her breath. "Amity Blight, you may open your eyes," Luz said in a formal tone. Amity let out a soft laugh and uncovered her eyes, being met by the sight of a laminated and beautiful portrait of herself. Amity's jaw dropped a bit, it was so realistic and amazing. "Luz...this is awesome," She said, picking it up. "Well, I tried to capture your beauty as well as I could, this one is definitely my favorite," Luz said, rubbing the back of her neck. Amity's face felt hot, 'Beauty' she thought. "Well, you have a lot of talent, I love it!" Amity exclaimed, putting it back down. "You can keep it if you want," Luz said. "No Luz, it's yours, you should keep it," She defended. Luz gave her a warm smile, "I made it for you Amity, I want you to have it," She said, picking it up and handing it over to Amity. The Blight took it and returned the smile.