3

She had heard the announcement and trumpet from the gate. King Ariston of Eldon, her brother, had arrived. Due to sit for diplomatic talks with her father, he would stay in the city for several days while they worked out whatever business it was they had. Rusalka didn't pay much mind to the politics of ruling a kingdom most days, though she did wonder what it would be like if she were the mother of a child who was coronated king, and she had to advise him. She lived her life peaceably with Sterling, minding her own business and taking care of him. She did, however, want to visit her brother and seek his advice for her predicament.

She picked up the collar which she had taken off Sterling the day before for his hunting expedition in the pine, and she waved it in the air. Without so much as a peep his direction, he noticed and came bounding over to her, wagging his tail. He seemed to pant happily. It was difficult to fasten his collar with one hand, but they had worked a system out where he would hold perfectly still, and she could fidget until she had it secured.

"We're going to see Ariston. I'm hoping that he will at least be able to give me advice as to what I can do to avoid the inevitable marriage to Heinrich at my father's hand. He may even speak to my father on my behalf. If he can't help, Sterling, I'm not sure what I will do. Father hasn't yet told me of the date for this arrangement, but I'm worried by the way Heinrich has intensified his...visits...that it might be closer than we hope."

Sterling laid his chin on her arm and licked at her sleeve. She knew based upon what Ovni had told her when they went to the shore to visit, that Sterling was able to understand everything she said, so she always made sure to tell him every detail, except the ones she feared would cause him to get angry and lose control or make him sad.

With the collar in place, she stood and grabbed her cloak. It was a warmer day than they had had in several moons, but it was still cool enough to need her cloak. Sterling had begun to shed his coat as was customary for him every fall and every spring. Soon she would have to take him to the stable and groom him, meticulously brushing over his entire body. It was the first spring they were together when they visited the shore that Ovni had mentioned he hated how his body was itchy, and hair got in his mouth when he groomed himself. Rusalka could understand that. He was, after all, human and not used to handling his own cleanliness the way animals did.

With one last look down at him, she headed off, and he trailed behind her. She would cross town and stop by the small cabin near the smilt's house. Her father always offered the modest accommodations to visiting parties from other colonies. Ariston was used to the riches and luxury of the castle in Dena of Eldon, but he had done a stint in Warrick when his banishment from Eldon made it impossible for him to stay, so he always obliged the king, rather than throwing a fit about the mediocre housing. Unlike certain other kings or leaders who would visit and complain about the poor quality of life the Warrick people had.

The snow for the most part had melted, though piles of it lingered around porches and corners of streets where it had been shoveled to give pedestrians and carts easier travel. The ground was soggy, and Rusalka was thankful for her fur-lined leathers. She had two pair now, so she could alternate between them, wearing one pair while the other dried by her fire. She made sure to stoke that fire before she left her domicile so it would remain hot for her when she returned home.

She recognized the two guards standing outside of the cabin where Ariston lodged. Dags smiled at her and waved, while Aryan gave her his normal solemn nod.

"Dags! So good to see you," she offered, curtsying for him. "Ayran." She nodded to the man, her way of accepting his less than bubbly demeanor. "May I see him? Is he expecting me?"