Wizard of Fire, Wizard of Water

The remaining days of the holiday week passed by very quickly for Eileen. She did not get to talk to Tom or see him much. He seemed to be pre-occupied with something at the places she did see him briefly such as at dinner or passing through the Slytherin common room. Eileen knew she woud never be able to guess what it was. But after a few days, she was missing him. She felt like she had been abandoned by him. Tom Riddle was eager for the day to come that he would open the chamber of secrets. On January first, he had encapsulated the memory of himself not a day older than sixteen. By Monday, January fourth around midnight he had succeeded in opening and entering the chamber of secrets.

After the first class of the day, History of Magic was transfiguration with professor Dumbledore at nine thirty. As soon as class ended, most students were, glad to leave as this was the dullest class at Hogwarts. Tom Riddle had been amongst the first to leave the classroom on his own, without speaking to anybody. Eileen was still at her desk, taking a few more notes on what Professor Binns had said. There were a still a few people, taking their time to leave chattering idly about the new quidditch season. Eileen looked around, to see who was left and was sorry to see that Tom Riddle was not still taking notes as well. She jumped up, hastily grabbing her books and prachment and shoving them carelessly in her bag (which was not her usual way of doing things). Outside the classroom, she glanced anxiously down the corridor, but could only just see Tom, who was one of the taller people in the crowd turning a corner.

She sighed and thought that she could maybe sit next to him in transfiguration. She decided to get there early so she would be sure to be able to speak to him. In a little more than five minutes she entered the transfiguration classroom of professor Dumbledore's. Eileen took a seat in a row in the back of the classroom. Dumbledore had just come in, and was humming to himself. He took his wand out, and aimed it at the curtained windows, and they opened letting the broad sunshine fill the room.

When he turned around, he saw Eileen was in the room, and gave her a slight nod of a greeting.

Eileen returned it, by asking, "What will we be doing today professor?"

"Transferring objects into portkeys," he said brightly. Eileen nodded and the corners of her mouth twitched in a small smile.

Just then Tom Riddle had come into the classroom. He walked slowly down the row to the left of Eileen, looking his usual self. But that was not entirely true. He felt a little bit tired from last night. He did not go to bed until three, after he returned from the chamber he had just opened. But this loss of sleep, caused in him an improved mood. This did not mean he was happy, just that he was a bit more likely to be rude, thinking how he believes he is superior to all others.

"Can you sit near me, Tom?" Eileen asked, sounding a little bit afraid from her low, cautious tone. She feared him, but she also felt addicted to experiencing her fascination with him. Tom turned, and slid slowly into the desk to share with Eileen. He did not usually sit with her in this class or any other. In transfiguration he normally sat in the back, and rarely gave answers in this class when Professor Dumbledore asked the class questions.

In a few minutes, the entire class was present. Dumbledore, needed no more than a few seconds to note this and mark in his records. "I hope everyone did their essays and did not forget to mention Isaiah Dawdry's new cleaning tonic." He chuckled lightly, and most of the class broke off into small titters of laughter.

Tom just made a slightly disgusted expression with a frown. He was used to Dumbledore's humor, and did not find any reason to take interest in it. It was not his kind of humor. Rather he thought at that moment, how funny it may look to him to see the very first mudblood petrified in the school, hopefully today.

Most of the class had their essays ready and the ones who didn't quickly did so. Dumbledore raised his wand and all twenty of the parchments came zooming toward his desk, and piled themselves neatly on top.

Dumbledore began teaching. He gave a demonstration of the creation of a port-key. He said the incantation portus aloud, and the object glowed blue. Dumbedore explained that meant it had worked. He also explained that the maker of the port-key would be able to set the port-key down or hand it to somebody else without being transported unless they picked it up again. Riddle did listen to his teacher attentively, as well as Eileen. Eileen knew transfiguration was not her best subject, and maybe Tom would help her.

"We will be practing transfiguring as well as to un-transfigure objects into port-keys," Dumbledore said as he took a large box out from under his desk. "Everybody please come here to pick from the assorted objects to practice on."

In a minute, Eileen and Riddle had returned to their desk. Tom was holding a small brass kettle and Eileen an old muggle knick-knack.

Everybody around them was busy, some nearly shouting the incantation. Riddle just whispered it to himself. The first time he tried he did not get it, but on the second try it glowed a strong blue. He was very used to getting things right on the first or second try and was not too pleased with himself. But glad nonetheless, that he could think about other things now. Eileen who had failed so far noticed Tom's kettle being activated and said with enthusiasm, "I think you've figured it out first!"

"Of course I did! I don't need flattery from you," he scoffed scathingly. Eileen bit her lip and said in a small voice, "Sorry Tom. Are you angry again?"

"No!," he lied. "I will be if you don't get me what I told you to," he said fleetingly as he got up quickly and put the kettle back in Dumbledore's box in the front. Eileen recalled, how about a week ago on Christmas Tom had asked her to get him money from her family and any other resources he could benefit from.

Just then a Ravenclaw student (as the Slytherins had transfiguration with them) asked Professor Dumbledore, "Is it true, sir that some wizards can do wandless magic? Even move huge remote objects?"

Tom paused in his steps and waited for Dumbledore to respond. "Yes it is not uncommon to use such means. Especially when there is danger to avoid. But it takes a wizard of uncommon strength as well as skill to do it."

Dumbledore had one eye on Tom and the other on the Ravenclaw boy. He had sensed almost immediately, Riddle's interest and of course was not surprised.

Riddle flinched a bit, starting to feel irritable. He interpreted that Dumbledore was suspicious of his interest in the question posed by the Ravenclaw, Donald Grailite. Tom was a bit paranoid. After all, he had opened the Chamber of Secrets only just last night, using wandless magic.

"What duels have you used wandless magic...professor?" Riddle said, aggressively, except for on the last word.

Dumbledore glanced sharply at Tom through his half-moon spectacles and sensed an undertone through legilimency that Riddle knew more than he was letting on.

Dumbledore spoke slowly as he was weighing every word being careful not to divulge, "On a few occasions, I've used it to combat wizards who are...quite powerful like myself but use their powers....differently." It was obvious to both Tom and Donald that it had be somebody who at least meddled in dark magic.

Tom dared to press him further, "Do you track and destroy whatever is set by this wizard?"

Dumbledore hesitated for a moment, from surprise. Tom had just spoken so shrewdly, that the transfiguration teacher considered if he knew he was after the dark wizard, Grindelwald.

"I don't know where you're getting your information, Tom." it was not a compliment, quite the contrary. "I'm certain that I have no plans to actually alter any wizards affair's. We were discussing dueling were we not?"

Dumbledore had of course managed to take control over the conversation. But Riddle, sensing this struggled against it arguing, "Yes sir. But why leave the school so often?...I'm sure your departures are linked to the odd occurences reported in the Prophet."

Dumbledore knew what Riddle was hinting at. In fact, Riddle had been sure that there was a dark lord trying to rise to power for several months now. He was aware that this dark lord must be whom Dumbledore was currently trying to defeat.

"No. This is not something you need to concern yourselves with," Dumbledore said with firm finality, attempting to talk to both Tom and Donald. Donald was confused over what they were discussing as he was only just beginning to deduce what Dumbledore could be doing. As Tom gritted his teeth and grasped his wand in the inside pocket of his robes, the Ravenclaw leafed feverishly through his book on defense against the dark arts looking for a possible answer.

Tom felt a strong surge of annoyance. He believed Dumbledore was talking to him as if he was an insolent, meddlesome child. He spat bitterly to Dumbledore, "Show us the wandless magic right here!...I'd like to learn how it's done professor," he quickly added this lie about why he wanted to see the wandless magic to make up for his rude tone.

Tom had spoken in that forceful commanding voice, which he had only used to Dumbledore when they had first met in the muggle orphanage. It was loud enough that people in the class who had still been practicing making port-keys, including Eileen were suddenly paying attention.

Dumbledore was feeling a little angry at Riddle's lack of respect, but ignored it for the moment. "Very well. I'm warning you that this will be more impressive than when I frightened you with a burning wardrobe," he said with a hint of sarcastic ease, yet still sounding unperturbed.

Riddle's insides licked and burned from hot anger at this slight, but he knew it would be very unwise to retort to his teacher. Dumbledore raised his voice, booming with energy, "Everybody stop practicing ....I'm going to show you all something special, but you must all go over to the ledge," he said pointing to the right towards the window, where the morning sun was still streaming in.

Within a few moments, all the students were standing by, or leaning against the window's ledge as it was obviously an exceptionally large window. The only individual who snaked his way to a shadowy alcove, beside the several, heavy shelves of books was Tom Riddle.

The class all watched with excitement as Dumbledore walked swiftly up the rows to the left of the classroom, standing tall with his wizard hat and reddish-gold robes gleaming in the sunlight. "This is a bit of wandless magic to manipulate distant targets, I'm about to show. If you ever attempt this, I advise only in desperate circumstances, unless you have experience, for it can be dangerous," he spoke in his normal lecture voice.

He turned around suddenly, raising his right arm upward and several of the on-lookers drew their breath in, from anticipation. As soon as Dumbledore started, Riddle observed the change over his teacher in his expression. He had become electrified with power. Tom couldn't help but admit to himself, that Dumbledore is indeed a most notably able wizard.

In a few short seconds, the eight-foot high wooden bookcase was sliding from Dumbledore's wandless magic. His long fingers spanning it all the way to the other corner of the room, passing the alcove. The motion of it's traversement was clean and controlled. Once it stopped moving, a roar of applause ensued.

But out of nowhere, emerged Tom Riddle. He darted out of the alcove, his black robes and cloak whirling. Quick as a flash, he had his hand raised, and in a few seconds the bookcase started shaking like it was in an earthquake. A few more seconds, and it heaved itself across the marble floor, back to where it had originally belonged. Eileen had turned even paler with shock of Tom taking an action, that would get so much attention. She understood that he had never drawn attention to himself in such a grand way before, nor had he wanted to until today.

Dumbledore did not intervene immediately. But then, he aimed his hand once again and started concentrating. There was a crinkle in the air, like heat was emanating from him. The bookshelf swayed ominously and a few people yelped. It started to move back to where Dumbledore had it moved before. Riddle began to use all his powers of will and magic to continue fighting. Just as a cold-hearted sensation urged through his veins, the sunshine was suddenly blotted out of the room by a mass of clouds in the sky, casting the whole room in a gray shadow.

The bookshelf remained stationary for what felt like an eternity to the students watching, transfixed. Eileen was more reactive than anybody else though. Her teeth were chattering from chills she was getting, and her brown eyes looked stricken with a hazy wonder.

Dumbledore and Tom Riddle remained across from each other. The state of this, was like a mergence of the powers of good verus evil. It was just getting to a stalemate, when a burst of strength rose upwards out of Dumbledore and the bookcase nearly leapt over to where he wanted it to be, some of the books falling on the floor with a loud thud. Dumbledore's eyes gleamed from his victory, yet he knew not to reveal that to Tom Riddle at all. He continued to use wandless magic to place the books back on the shelves.

Feeling temptation to start a duel with Dumbledore from what he saw as a humiliating experience, Riddle withdrew his wand again. Yet really, he was not planning to do anything as he knew that would be pushing it too far. Dumbledore did not notice as he had his back turned, putting the books back, hoping this to be over.

As soon as Dumbledore finished, sparks were flying out of Riddle's wand and then they transformed. He could no longer conceal, his enragement over his loss. Out burst a murky greenish-red magical something. A whole bunch of people were screaming "fire!" and some were yelling "water!"

Riddle's expression on his face was the ugliest frown, his jaw sharply inclined, his hollow cheeks fevered. He turned on the spot, searching for a place to direct the fiery-liquid.

Meanwhile, Dumbledore had summoned the small phoenix door-knocker at the entrance to life and it was flying. Tom luckily saw a vase, several yards from himself and he aimed at it, spilling perfectly into it.

Students began to flee, as the chaos was too much. The fiery-liquid stopped coming out as Riddle became calmer. But a second later, the stone vase was full, so that it was protruding up in the air like a spiraling fountain. People continued to run and scream, as they left the classroom, their hands covering their heads.

The artificial, baby-sized phoenix magically began to swallow the flames from the fountain. With another flick of his wand, Dumbledore had to have the stone-phoenix to shatter into pieces, as it could not burst into flame to extinguish the fiery-liquid.

Now that it was over, the silence was terrible. Only Dumbledore, Tom and Eileen were still present.

Dumbledore had a blazing look on his face, and he walked slowly towards Tom looking him straight in the face. Tom gulped and blinked hard, but did not back away from him, nor did he glance away from him. Eileen took a step backwards and looked down instead of at Dumbledore.

Dumbledore spoke in a very disappointed voice, "Your interference was completely inappropriate. Furthermore, you were rude before the incident. Explain your endangering of your classmates with your usage of combined incantations?" Dumbledore knew it may not have been intentional, but he did not wish to suggest it, just in case it wasn't.

"He didn't do it intentionally, professor," Eileen blurted out. "I saw it happen all on it's own. I think it happened from uncontrolled-."

"Thank-you Ms. Prince. But I need to hear it from Mr. Riddle," Dumbledore said sounding almost polite.

Riddle looked like he did not want to answer the question as he said slowly, "I lost and was angry that I had not used my powers better," and heat began to rise up Riddle's neck from embarrassment of re-living it.

"You were not supposed to try to compete ...But did you mean to produce a double incantation?," he quipped sharply.

"No professor," he said firmly in an icy tone, looking him in the eyes.

"I see ....thirty points shall be taken from Slytherin for the reasons I just mentioned." Tom shrugged his shoulders, feeling slightly relieved. Dumbledore continued sounding very grave, "I have a half a mind to take you to the Headmaster and tell him the truth. Undoubtedly, Professor Dippit will hear the story from others, but of course it won't be accurate."

Tom bit his lower-lip and then thought of faking a grand apology, but immediately he knew Dumbledore was the only teacher he could not charm. "But sir, I promise that I will never do this again," Tom spoke his mind instinctively trying to find the best way to convince Dumbledore, without charming how to get him not to see the Headmaster.

"That you won't blatantly challenge my authority, as a teacher I believe you wouldn't dare to once again. On the other hand, you'll never drop your desire to show your powers, and to be seperate of others....And I deduced you were tempted to duel me."

These words were so very surprising to Riddle, as Dumbledore had hit the hammer right on the head of the nail, when it came to his mind. Eileen realized from this statement, that Dumbledore knew something of Tom Riddle more than the other teachers.

"Detention would do you no good, Tom. But I wish there was something to stop you from going too far in your quest to rise to power. I wish there was," he said sadly. "....you may go," he added.

Eileen followed Riddle, (who had sneered from Dumbledore's final comment) out of the room and into the hall-way, where they were both had only five minutes remaining before Potions class.