Jessica watched as her friend paced across the room with anger clear on his face.

“Alex I am sorry.” Alex stopped pacing and faced Jessica and Jessica watched as his face turned from rage to comfort.

“You have nothing to be sorry for Jessica. I am the one that should be sorry. I let my anger distract me from helping you.” Alex grabbed the cloth again and gently wiped down Jessica’s chest and back. While Alex was fixing up Jessica Emilia just put the boys to bed and left Aiden’s room where they were both cuddled on Aiden’s bed. Emilia made her way downstairs where she stopped when she saw the state that Jessica was in. Swallowing the lump in her throat she walked into the lounge room and placed her hand on Alex’s shoulder.

“Both the boys are in bed asleep.” Jessica nodded her head as Alex applied the last of the antiseptic to her cuts.

“Your ribs aren’t broken just a little bruised.” Alex said as Jessica lowered her top again.

“Jessica would you like anything to drink. Tea or coffee?” Emilia knew Alex needed to talk to Jessica so when Jessica said she would like a tea, she left the room allowing them to talk.

“Jess I need to know what happened.” Alex sat down next to Jessica and took her hands into his.

“I don’t really want to talk about it Alex, I am ashamed that I let it happen.” Jessica cries and Alex pulls her into his arms and whispers words of comfort.

“I know it is hard, but I need to know so I can protect you Jess. You and Jacob are like family to me and when someone hurts my family they sure as hell are going to pay for it.” Jessica sniffled wiping the tears from her eyes before taking a deep breath.

“Can Emilia be here too?” Alex nodded his head and they waited for Emilia to come back into the room with tea and coffee.

“Ok how about we start with how did this too you.” Jessica nodded and looked down into her cup of tea.

“Jacob’s father.” She whispered. Alex took a deep breath and looked at Emilia who looked like she was about to cry.

“So tell me what happened today.” Jessica nodded as a few tears splashed into her cup.

“Jacob and I went out for dinner. We came back to the apartment and the door was unlocked. I didn’t take notice of it because where we live it isn’t uncommon for the lock not to work.” Alex nodded and gave her hand a squeeze before continuing.

“We walked into our small apartment and I didn’t even realise he was there. He looked at Jacob then me and demand to know why I left with his son. He slapped me across my face and I told Jacob to run and hide in his room.” Jessica sobbed and Emilia went and sat on the other side of her.

“I don’t know what really happened after that. I remember him yelling and screaming as he kept hitting me. I remember him yelling that he was going to take Jacob away from me. I didn’t know what to do once he left. I quickly packed everything we had and came here.” Jessica cried into her hands as shame washed over her.