6. Smitch of Vermillion Hue

Start from the beginning

"Maine keh diya hain Durga bahu!"

The daughter-in-laws huffed in fury. She ruined everything! They couldn't muster up the courage to ask Aj to re-attain the ceremony. He was already frustrated.
_____________________________

The most crucial day of one's life, the precious memories of tomorrow. Marriage, it weaves the two souls into a bond of eternity. Souls unite for the journey of life, they rise, they cherish, they heal, they fuse into One! The first baby step into the new phase, a lifelong commitment.

"Arey waah! Aap toh kamal ki lag rahi hain Shefali ji, nazar na lage." Guddan complimented, covering her face with veil.

"Tumhi ne toh mujhe itne achhe se taiyaar kiya hain, thank you so much."

"Kyun na kare? Aakhir Dadi ne yeh zimmedaari hume di hain, hume toh nibhaana hi tha!"

"Haan woh toh hain.."
_____________________________

"Yeh karna hi parega!" Tears burned her eyes while her lower lip trembled.

She stared at her reflection in the mirror. Her eyelids in yellow shade with her lips coloured in cherry. Her rosy cheeks had that natural pinkish hue. Her life was going to change today. Her silk hairs were tied into a floral bun while a few curls dangled loose. She was wrapped in a red chiffon saree with few gold ornaments that shimmered. Enchanting Beauty!

Yet, something was missing. The face which always wore a lovely smile was lined with grief, her soulful eyes dull. This was so wrong! She knew the consequences, still it has to be done..... As a drop of tear trickled down her left eye, she sighed and put on the veil.

The bride descended down the stairs and made her way towards the wedding hall. Akshat had already arrived at the hall and thus, the priest started the marriage.

"Chaliye, varmaala pehenaiye!"

They exchanged the floral garlands, as a symbol of acceptance. They accepted to spend the rest of their lives with each other.

"Ab kanyadaan ke liye ladki ke pitaji aaiye."

"Pandit ji, Shefali ke papa mujhe mil hi nehi rahe, pata nehi beti ke shaadi ke wakt kaha chale gaye. Yeh insaan toh mere samajh se bahaar hain, ab kya kare?" Shefali's mother asked.

"Mujhse mat puchiye, par jo bhi karna hain jaldi kijiye, mahurat nikla ja raha hain."

"Agar aapko koi shikayat na ho toh main kar deta hoon kanyadaan. Aakhir Shefali bhi toh meri beti jaisi hai.." Bhushan trailed, confused as to why he made the proposal. He just wanted to.

"Mujhe kyun koi shikayat hogi, aap toh madad kar rahe hain humari. Mujhe nehi lagta woh aayenge, is shaadi se nakhush the woh, shayad isliye beech mein chhod kar chale gaye.."

Kanyadaan, wherein the father gives away his daughter's hand to the groom. As Bhushan placed her hand on his, his heart sank in tears which his eyes couldn't cry. Why was it getting so hard, why? He withdrew his hands, entrusting him with her responsibility, expecting he would preserve her happiness, desires and her.

"Ab phere ke liye khade ho jaiye."

Dadi tied their knots, binding them into the relationship of husband and wife.

With the first round, they accepted each other, starting their matrimonial relationship.

With the second round, they pledged to trust and respect each other's decision and thoughts.