Trust

The phone buzzed on the table as Felicity put down her takeout box and reached for her phone. Captain Lance's name scrolled across her caller ID. She quickly glanced back toward the steps to see if Oliver had returned from the restroom yet. She didn't see or hear him as she answered her phone.

"Hello?" She began, cautiously trying to listen for Oliver's return.

"Miss Smoak, I missed you at your office today." Lance started, his voice tired and somewhat strained.

"Yeah, I'm sorry about that...my lunch ran a little longer than I expected." Felicity replied, adjusting her glasses as she turned the chair slightly toward the stairs.

"That's alright. I just wanted to let you know I got those documents you asked for." He stated, catching her full attention. Felicity double checked the stairs before responding.

"Um, that's great. How about I swing by the station tomorrow and grab them from you?" Felicity suggested, almost beginning to whisper. Lance sighed, signaling Felicity that he had concerns about the topic.

"Look Felicity, I don't know exactly what it is you asked me to dig up for you but it took alot of favors and as you know I'm not a very likeable guy...so favors are kinda hard to come by for me." Lance explained, his tone resembling that of a worried parent.

"What's your point Captain?" Felicity asked, checking the stairs again.

"Considering our normal paths of communication and meeting arrangements, I'm guessing the Arrow doesn't know about this." Lance half asked, his concern clearly audible now. Felicity closed her eyes, dreading the fact that Lance had so easily discovered the truth.

"No, he doesn't know." She blankly answered, almost ashamed of herself for keeping a secret from Oliver.

"You're a grown woman and you make your own decisions, it's just...I don't know what would constitute you to keep a secret from him and whatever it is...I just hope you're not getn' yourself into something dangerous here." Lance ended in a caring tone that tugged at Felicity's heart.

"Thank you for your concern Captain, but trust me...this is something I need to keep to myself." Felicity firmly stated, hoping it would be enough to convince Lance. He paused, filling the phone line with a dreadful silence.

"Alright. Stop by tomorrow." He reluctantly agreed, clearly not thrilled about his decision.

"Thank you." Felicity said, ending the call and placing the phone back on the desk. Oliver remained standing at the top of the steps out of her view, where he had been since she first received the call. He leaned on the railing and thought over what he had just overheard. He felt guilty for eavesdropping on Felicity's conversation but ever since Captain Lance's surprise visit at Queen Technologies, Oliver hadn't been able to stop thinking about what Felicity might be hiding from him. The last time Felicity had a secret from Oliver she ended up telling him within a matter of days of uncovering Thea's true parentage. It wasn't in her character to keep things from any of them, especially Oliver. He almost felt betrayed, if it wasn't for the reminder that he was keeping Riley's true interests in Felicity from her. Oliver still couldn't come to any conceivable conclusion regarding her sudden secrecy. He cleared his throat and began to descend the steps, careful with each step as to not injure his knee any further. Felicity quickly grabbed her food and casually began poking for a dumpling with her chopsticks.

"I was getting worried. Thought I might have to hack every known surveillance satellites again just to track you down." Felicity began, playfully referring to her desperate actions to try and locate Oliver after the duel with Ra's.

"Though it didn't really work last time." Felicity corrected herself, fighting the guilt for deceiving Oliver. She placed her takeout container on the desk and thought to herself for a moment, fighting off the painful memories. Oliver knew how sensitive the subject was for her and he decided not to linger on her comment.