Chapter 30

It was around 2 am when Hermione woke up. She still felt exhausted and knew it was possible for her to fall right back to sleep, but she wanted a short break from the nightmares. It hadn't even been 24 hours since she'd last kissed Draco's lips, but their intimate moments haunted her mind. The sensation of remembering their last minutes together did not feel recent. It made Hermione feel like she was remembering a memory from years ago, that still stung and remained clear after all that time.

Hermione used the walls to guide her through the pitch black house. She didn't know it well, so she simply followed the faint glimmer of light she saw in the distance. Hermione found herself outside the quaint living room. She almost entered but the sound of voices made her wait. She couldn't make out their words but she recognized the voices to belong to Harry and Ginny. Hermione felt a bit uncomfortable about interrupting the couple, whos' tones led Hermione to believe they were discussing something serious, but couldn't stand the nagging feeling in her gut that made her think they were talking about her.

"I just- Oh, Hermione. What are you doing up at this hour?" Ginny said politely, bringing her and Harry's conversation to an immediate halt when her friend entered the room. Hermione's assumption had been correct.

"I could ask you both the same thing." Hermione's voice was barely above a whisper. "Don't mind me, just looking for the kitchen."

They obviously did mind her though.

Harry messed with a strand of his hair awkwardly. "Actually, Hermione, um- we want to talk to you."

Hermione's body grew tense. "Oh?" She swallowed the urge to ask what it was about. She already knew.

"It doesn't have to be right now." Ginny added, shooting Harry a wary look. He shrugged. "You need rest. We can do this in the morning."

"Don't be silly. I'm up now. I probably won't be back to sleep for a while. We can talk." Hermione lied through her increasing exhaustion. She fought back the drooping of her eyelids and yawn that rose in her throat.

"Well, if you're sure." Ginny sent the same concerned look at Hermione. Hermione rolled her eyes and nodded, encouraging Ginny to continue. "Alright then. Um, Harry?"

Harry's face grew hot. Hermione could barely see the color grow on his cheeks. The sitting room was only lit by a fading candle in the corner.

"'Mione, I know you probably don't want to speak about this, and especially not to me, but I can't sleep until I have a better understanding." Harry's voice was quiet. His tone edged towards frustration.

"Spit it out, Harry," Ginny whispered.

"Hermione, you and Malfoy?" Harry sighed. "It doesn't make sense to me."

"Ron said the same thing. Only he was a bit, well, louder." Hermione chuckled lightly, though not one of the wizards in the room were amused. "To answer your question, believe me, I don't understand it myself. But, I suppose some things just don't make sense."

"But, it's Malfoy, Hermione? Unless he's suddenly a good person, which is not possible, how could you fall for him?" Pure curiosity was clear in Ginny's tone.

"I don't know. I just...understand him," Hermione said unconfidently. She wanted to defend Draco, tell them he was a good person but was just brought up in an environment that tore away at his purity, but she bit her tongue.

Harry scoffed. It made irritation rise in Hermione.

"Can you at least try to wrap your mind around it? For me?" Hermione didn't want to beg, but she was creeping closer to it every time she spoke.