The Robinsons Were Here

John was hammering a metal stake into the ground. It was daytime now, the sun shining on the forest. 

"Do you, uh, want some help?" Will asked, walking over to his dad, the Robot and Star close behind.

John took one look at the Robot, and turned back around, still hammering the stake into the ground.

"No I'm good,"

Star tilted her head.

"Seriously," Will encouraged, and his dad's turned around to face him,"Let him help,"

John sighed, glancing up at the Robot's swirling face. He took a couple steps back gesturing to the pole.

The Robot walked over and easily pushed it into the ground a foot or two. Star clapped. John watched the Robot warily, almost like he confirmed his suspicions.

"So what are these for?" Will asked and Star nodded.

"Its a perimeter fence, like what we had back at home, when things got. . ."

"Expect this one's not meant to keep out people," Will finished.

There was a very long, solemn, silence.

"So uh, your mom and I are going to be heading out. We're going to check whether anyone else has had better luck contacting the Resolute than we have," John said, then gestured to the pole,"This will keep you safe while we're gone,"

"We're already safe. We've got him," Will said smiling, glancing at the Robot.

Star nodded enthusiastically.

"True!"

"Maybe," John said, glancing at it. 

He started to walk a little bit away, and Will followed. As did the Robot and Star, a pace or so behind.

"Look, we don't know what it is yet," John said softly. The Girl frowned.

"We don't know anything about Dr. Smith, but you're not worried about her," Will said.

"Yeah well that's different," He said.

"Why?"

"Because she can't hammer metal stakes in the ground like they're toothpicks," He said darkly.

Star frowned and crossed her arms, making hand signals.

John glanced at her and she stiffened.

"Let's talk about this later," He said, then started screwing something onto of the pole,"Why don't you and your sisters start the Jupiter expansion protocols? Looks like we might be here for a while,"

Will sighed, but nodded, walking back to the Jupiter, Star close behind. The Robot followed slowly.

"What happened on your?" Star pointed at the ground, then made a circle with her hand.

"Later," Will promised.

They walked onto the Jupiter and met Penny in the center. Penny was watching a video.

"Wow," Star said, infatuated by the pictures,"Pretty,"

"That's Alpha Centrai," Will told her, and glanced at him. He felt a strong wave of happiness and awe wash over him.

"Yeah, it's pretty great huh?" He said, looking back at the video. He watched it almost wistfully.

"Look at these people," Penny said, nudging Will,"Everyone's abs are so well defined,"

Star glanced at her confused, and mouthed abs, with a bewildered expression.

They all watched the video for a bit longer, then Penny sighed.