Bring A Plus One - Part Three

Start from the beginning

Spencer lifted his wrist and checked his watch before taking a quick glance around.

"It's getting kind of late," he said, looking back to me, "I'm thinking that maybe it's time to call it a night and drive back."

"That's an idea, we don't want you driving back too late."

"No and preferably before I get tired, around ten to twenty percent of road accidents are fatigue related incidences and only one in eight drivers will admit to having fallen asleep at the wheel."

"Only one in eight? Damn but see, that's why I get nervous about driving tests, I entirely trust myself but it's other drivers I don't."

"Wise choice, pedestrians alone make up thirty percent of deaths due to road accidents, once you're an occupant of the car that number jumps up to seventy."

"Comforting."

Looking towards the happy couple, I sigh wistfully and feel my face soften before turning back to Spencer.

"We should probably go up separately and say we're leaving or we'll never hear the end of this."

"I wouldn't worry," he shrugged while standing up, "they'll probably guess when they see you're not here but the flirter is," Spencer stopped for a moment and frowned a little, "or is it that you don't want to be seen leaving with me?"

"No! Nothing like that, why wouldn't I want to be seen with you?"

"You wouldn't be the first person."

"Well I'm definitely not on that list, I just don't want to have to put up with their teasing, that's all."

"Oh, I guess I'm so used to people thinking I'm weird that you might be worried about catching it," he laughed half-heartedly.

"Spence," I smiled softly, reaching over to place my hand over his, "if I bagged a man like you, I'd be screaming it from my rooftop, people like me don't get lucky to pick up guys like you."

"Guys like me?"

"Yeah, you put yourself down too much."

He stared at me for a moment, a strange, lingering moment until he broke eye contact and stood up.

"I'll tell them we're leaving."

He started making his way away from the table as I gathered my jacket and plucked up my bag from beneath the table.

Spencer and Derek were already talking as I walked over, shrugging and tugging my jacket into place.

"So you're off, hm?"

I looked to the beautiful bride, who was smiling at me with a not-so-subtlely suggestive expression.

"We are, but don't think anything is happening," I shook my head.

"Mhmm, we've been watching you both all night, I told you that you'd get on great with him one day."

"Uh-huh," I drone with disinterest, "congratulations again, I can't wait to see the honeymoon photos."

"And I can't wait to hear how your night ends."

"Oh, well let me spoil that for you, I'm going home and I'm going to curl up in bed with Shudder-"

"And Spencer."

"No!"

"Come on," she grinned, nudging my rib with her elbow and making me flinch, "you didn't nair up for nothing."

My cheeks started to heat up and I was sure I'd gone beet red, undoubtedly bright enough that I could be used as a stop light.

Thankfully our attention was diverted when Derek laughed loudly enough to make us turn towards him, just as he clapped Spencer on the back hard enough to make him stumble a little.

"Don't let us hold you back," Derek grinned as widely and just as suggestively as his new bride.

Spencer shot him a look as he stepped towards me.

"I think you're getting ahead of yourself," he said, sounding a little flustered, "I'm going to say goodbye to the rest of the team."

"I'll wait outside for you," I smiled, glancing between the newlyweds, "have a good honeymoon, I want to see lots of pictures."

I hugged each of them tightly, giving another congratulations before heading outside while Spencer wandered off to say farewell to the rest of the team.

Outside had grown dark and nippy, the wind adding an extra bite to the air and making me shiver.

Staring out into the dark expanse, I started to think about the teasing and wondered just how right they may have been.

Not for tonight, of course not, but the potential development of a relationship in the future once this night was all over and done with.

Would we remain friends?

Most likely we'd go our separate ways and hear about one another through the grapevine of our mutual friends, we'd only see one another at mutual events.

That's just my kind of luck.

So, I decided as I turned towards the sound of footsteps coming towards me, I would make the most of the moments I had with this peculiar man.

"Are you ready to go?" Spencer asked with a smile.

"I am," I nodded, following beside him as he made his way to his car, my hands slid into my jacket pockets to keep them at least a little warm.

The drive would take about an hour or so, enough time to plenty of time to get my fill before he left my life.