Despite her mother's vicious attempts to smear her name, Grace wrote to Sarah. She had wanted to apologise, to mend any residual ill will between them. Of course, Grace never thought poorly of Sarah, but there had been dishonesty. What became of that letter was friendly correspondence between the two ladies. Unlike her mother, Sarah did not resent Grace or Adam. While she had been initially heartbroken, or so she had thought, time had quickly healed those wounds, and she was ready to be romanced again. The following Season, she became engaged to a marquess, which had to please Lady Ashley. If it didn't, Sarah never alluded to it in her letters. As of her last letter, Sarah was nearing the end of her first pregnancy. Grace expected to hear of her child's birth the next time Sarah wrote.

Ruby finished helping Grace dress, and together, they left Grace's bedroom. The bedroom she and Adam shared had once been Cecily's. Adam couldn't live in the room where his father had passed away, and Grace completely understood that. Cecily had moved into the bedroom beside Susanna. While usually, a widow left the home of her husband, Adam wouldn't hear of it.

Grace and Ruby entered into the servant's staircase and descended down to the kitchen. It was a path she had once known well, and it still felt odd to have the people she had once dined with bow to her.

What was even stranger, and oddly frustrating, was that they would call her Your Grace, but not Grace. Mrs Hayes was the only one, aside from Ruby, to oblige Grace's request, and that was because Adam could talk his childhood nanny into anything.

The kitchen smelled divine, sweet, and of baking. The minute Grace was noticed, all preparations halted for polite, proper greetings and curtseys. In the centre of the kitchen bench was a three-tier cake, which looked perfect, completely covered in ornate flowers made of sugar.

"Mrs Reynolds!" exclaimed Grace, clapping her hands together and gasping. "Why, it looks beautiful!"

Mrs Reynolds smiled proudly. "I am pleased you like it, Your Grace," she replied. "But will Milady approve?"

Grace laughed knowingly. "You know Milady devours anything of your creating, Mrs Reynolds." Grace quickly inspected the other sweets, biscuits, puddings, and cakes, before she and Ruby quickly ascended up to the dining room.

Both Mrs Hayes and Mr Cole were in the dining room, ordering servants about as they set up for the party. Flowers were being arranged, furniture was being moved to accommodate gatherings, and refreshments were being organised. Grace and Ruby exchanged a smile as they observed that everything was under control.

Everyone knew how important today was.

"Pardon me, Your Grace," said one of the footmen from the doorway of the dining room. "Mr Cole, the Denhams are arriving."

Grace beamed as she raced out into the entry foyer ahead of Mr Cole, pulling open the front door to see her family's carriage approaching the house. The carriage had been a Christmas present the year before last. A necessity, really, as walking for extended periods of time was quite impossible for Mrs Denham. The break in her leg never seemed to heal properly, and so she relied on a cane.

Adam had offered rooms for Mrs Denham, Claire, Peter and Jem in Ashwood House once, but Mrs Denham had refused. She was not a prideful woman, only independent, and she preferred to live in the home that she had shared with her husband. The carriage was a thoughtful gift, and whenever she wanted to use it, Jim Ellis would always loan her the horses.

Ashwood footmen immediately went to the carriage to let the steps down. Peter quickly jumped out before assisting their mother. Grace saw Peter at least three times a week, and it never ceased to surprise her at how quickly he was becoming a man. He had recently turned eighteen and was very much a young man. He was strong, and he worked hard every day. Mrs Denham leant on her cane as fifteen-year-old Jem climbed out behind her. Jim, Kate, and their newborn son, James, completed the party.