XXVII

"The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, not the kindly smile, nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when you discover that someone else believes in you and is willing to trust you with a friendship." Ralph Waldo Emerson

----

XXVII.

Grace had not quite believed her mother when she was told that evening that the Duchess of Ashwood had called upon her. Not only that, but she had gifted Grace's mother the deed to their house. Grace had to look upon the document with her own eyes to believe it to be true.

Whatever doubts she had about the duchess' motives were seemingly gone, and she could believe that Cecily Beresford really would approve of her. The ownership of their home was such a gift and was such a significant burden off of Grace's shoulders.

While her mother would not go into details about what else was discussed between herself and the duchess, Grace could not have been more grateful.

Grace did not spend another night at Ashwood House as her things were transported out of her and Ruby's room, only after Grace had confessed everything to Ruby. Her friend had been shocked, as had everyone except for Mrs Hayes, but she was truly excited for Grace.

Grace and her possessions arrived back at her family home and she moved back into the bedroom she had always shared with Claire. When she thought back to how she had felt when she had spent her last night in this room, Grace could not quite believe what had happened, and how she had managed such luck as to have found Adam again.

"You look so happy," uttered Claire peacefully, as she looked upon Grace while they lay in their bed facing on another.

Grace smiled. "I am happy. I never thought that what happened today would come about. To think I was absolutely distraught this morning ..."

"Adam really loves you," mused Claire with a wistful, wishful smile, as she looked up towards the ceiling.

Grace knew where her younger sister's thoughts often went. "It will be your turn, Claire," she promised, "with a man far more deserving of you than Arthur Slickson."

Claire's eyes flicked back to Grace. "Oh, I know," she said with sad realisation. "I think my chance at Mr Slickson came and went at the assembly," she said regretfully. "Alas, I am certain there will be someone else who will catch my eye someday."

Grace would never voice it aloud, but she was so glad to hear Claire resigned to giving up all thoughts of Arthur Slickson. No level of handsomeness could outweigh the vices of vanity, conceit and selfishness. Claire would certainly find someone more suitable for her.

"I do wonder at Mama and the duchess' conversation today, though," said Claire. "You didn't see her, Grace, but the duchess looked so ... so ... well, I am just so used to seeing her with her nose in the air that I have never seen her appear so normal before. Why won't Mama tell, do you think?"

Grace could not deny her own curiosity, but she could certainly guess at the subject. Perhaps the duchess had voiced her last fears and concerns over the match to their mother, and Mrs Denham had defended Grace. She could certainly believe that. Grace had never before seen her mother converse with the duchess, so they certainly could have nothing else to discuss.

"If it were our business, Mama would have told us, Claire," murmured Grace. "Whatever happened, Adam and I are still going to enter into a courtship and the duchess consents.

***

Grace could not help but wake with Claire, as she was used to rising early and completing her chores. Claire was certainly grateful for the assistance and Grace enjoyed helping her with the cooking and the chores. It reminded her of when she used to help her mother when their father was still alive.