"I told you, I don't know what I saw," Hermione explained.

Harry stood up abruptly, grabbing something from the overhead. "I need some air."

He left the compartment, shutting the door behind him.

Ellie spoke up. "I don't think Draco's a bad person."

"I don't think he's a Death Eater, but he definitely isn't a good person. After all, he calls Hermione 'mudblood' every time he sees her," Ron argued.

"Not anymore he doesn't. People change, Ronald," Hermione cut in, looking over at Ellie.

Ron scoffed in disbelief. "Sure he doesn't. You're seriously siding with her?"

"Maybe I am," Hermione answered with confidence, shutting her book.

Ron let out another scoff and stood up to open the door. "I'm going to take a walk. Maybe it'll give you time to rethink your thoughts."

Ron shut the door behind him, leaving Ellie and Hermione alone.

Hermione took hold of Ellie's hand, interlacing their fingers together.

Ellie let out an exasperated sigh. "Even if Draco was a Death Eater, I don't think it was his choice. You know, he's not as bad as everyone says he is. They'd never believe me. I just want them to trust me."

Hermione didn't know what to say. Instead, she gently squeezed Ellie's hand and placed a loving kiss on her forehead.

"Stressed, my love?" Hermione asked softly, caressing Ellie's hand with her thumb.

"Yeah," Ellie replied simply, resting her head on Hermione's shoulder.

"Let me help..."

Hermione brought her free hand to Ellie's chin, tilting her face up to her. She gently connected their lips, Ellie barely kissing back. Hermione noticed immediately and pulled away.

"What's wrong, darling?" Hermione asked with a worried expression.

"Just tired, that's all," Ellie replied in a low voice.

Hermione moved her hand to wrap around Ellie's shoulder, pulling her close to her body. Ellie snuggled in, her head rested in the crook of Hermione's neck as she inhaled the smell of fresh parchment and coffee.

"It's not that I don't want to kiss you. Trust me, I'd kiss you every second of the day if I could. I'm just tired, love," Ellie mumbled into into Hermione's hair.

Hermione rubbed Ellie's back comfortingly. "I love you, Evans," the Gryffindor cooed.

"I love you more, Granger," Ellie replied with a smile.

Hermione blushed, placing one more kiss on Ellie's head and pulled her closer.

For the rest of the ride, Ellie was asleep in her girlfriend's arms, her Ron had eventually returned by Harry was nowhere to be found. Ellie had awoken to Hermione gently shaking her awake.

"Wake up, love. We're here," Hermione said softly, helping Ellie stand up.

"Where's Harry?" Hermione asked, when she saw that her friend wasn't back.

"Probably already on the platform. Come on," Ron shrugged, taking his bag and getting off the train. Hermione and Ellie followed behind, Ellie, still half asleep, held onto her girlfriend for support. Together, the three of them made their way to the carriages, and were taken to the stone school.

The feast began as Ellie sat alone again. She watched Hermione's worried expression as she vigorously beat Ron with a book. Ellie snickered at the sight, amused by her girlfriend's sudden turn of violence. Harry and Luna started walking into the Great Hall, with Harry holding a bloody tissue to his nose. Ellie's eyes darted to Draco, who smirked at the sight, nudging his friends to laugh at Harry. Ellie simply rolled her eyes at him, making a mental note to talk to Draco.

Dumbledore cleared his throat as he settled behind the podium.

"Very best of evenings to you all. First off, let me introduce the newest member of our staff... Horace Slughorn," Dumbledore gestured at the professor, who stood up and bowed at the applause.

"Professor Slughorn, I'm happy to say... has agreed to resume his old post as Potions Master. Meanwhile, the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts will be taken by Professor Snape," Dumbledore continued.

Numerous people questioned the comment, and only the Slytherins cheered at the Head of Slytherin.

"Now, as you know... each and every one of you was searched upon your arrival here tonight. And you have the right to know why. Once, there was a young man, who, like you, sat in this very hall... walked this castle's corridors, slept under its roof. He seemed to all the world a student like any other. His name? Tom Riddle."

Murmurs amongst the students spread across the Great Hall.

"Today, of course... he's know all over the world by another name. Which is why, as I stand looking out upon you all tonight... I'm reminded of a sobering fact. Every day, every hour... this very minute, perhaps... dark forces attempt to penetrate this castle's walls. But in the end, their greatest weapon is you. Just something to think about. Now off to bed, pip-pip."

Ellie walked over to the Gryffindor table with a straight face, where her friends were just standing up.

"You don't seem bothered, Ellie," Harry noticed.

"Yeah, aren't you bloody terrified why there's Aurors lined up at every entrance? That You-Know-Who's planning a war?" Ron asked.

"Unlike you, Ron... I'm not afraid of Voldemort. Besides, I've already died once before," Ellie replied, her lips creeping into a smile as she fondled with the golden ring on her finger.

"Don't joke about dying!" Hermione exclaimed, smacking her girlfriend playfully.

Ellie looked to her with surprise, not expecting the sudden roughness. The group around her laughed at the sight. After a few minutes of conversation, Ellie and her friends retreated to their dormitories for the night.