Six

Keefe

He walked out into the living area. Just as Fitz had said, Dex and Biana sat together on the couch, whispering to one another about something.

Dex looked up once he was in view and frowned. "Hey Keefe, long time no see."

"Yeah, sorry about that."

Dex laughed bitterly. "Yeah, sure you are"

Biana reached for his hand. "You promised you wouldn't fight."

"Sorry." Dex didn't look sorry, which meant he had only said it for Biana's sake.

"So what do I need to be filled in on, I was knocked out right as the action started."

Dex scowled. "Why should we tell you? You're the reason she freaked out."

"We don't know that for sure.." Biana started again. Keefe was starting to think that this was a reoccurring argument.

"Elwin made himself pretty clear. Something triggered her consciousness when she heard Sencen talking."

"Then why did she freak out, huh? That only explains how she woke up, not why she inflicted when she saw Keefe."

Keefe clenched his fists. "Guys, no matter the result, it's always my fault, just settle on that. Now we just try and figure out why that is."

They were both silent for a second. To his surprise, it was Dex who nodded. "I hate to admit it but he's right."

Keefe was about to go on, when three kids, who looked around nineteen or twenty, came running into the room. One had blazing red hair and the other two had the same blonde as Dex.

"Bex, Lex, Rex, what's wrong?" Dex asked and stood up.

Lex nudged Bex's arm and muttered something like, "Go on."

Bex cleared her throat. "Sophie ran off. I saw her in between classes. She ran out of the school, to where I have no clue. I found Elwin unconcious in the healing center."

Dex looked surprised. "Let's hail the others."

"Wait, no. If we wait we might not find her as fast. We need to go now."

"We're also greater in numbers." Dex argued. Keefe didn't have time for this.

"Fine, I'll go myself then." Then he took off down the halls, remembering exactly where their leap master was. He could hear Biana and Dex calling after him, but he didn't stop.

Once he got to the leap master, he scrambled his thoughts for a place Sophie might have gone. Probably not Havenfield. Or Everglen, since they were already here. Probably not Rimeshire. Maybe one of the lost cities? There was no way to tell which. Better start from the top.

"Atlantis!" Keefe called out and one of the crystals lowered. Then he walked through the beam of light, disappearing from Everglen without a trace.