Chapter Thirty-Six: Objections

Start from the beginning

Her hair is done up perfectly in a bun with a jeweled clip holding it in place

Her hair is done up perfectly in a bun with a jeweled clip holding it in place. Her makeup is elegantly done, and the wedding dress itself is a work of art with a mix of lace and pearls cascading beautifully down her back while the lace clings to her every curve. She stares at her reflection in the mirror, hazel eyes shining with tears unshed as she clings tightly to her rose bouquet.

"I can do this...I can do this...I can do this..." she whispers to herself, only acknowledging Taehyung's presence once his reflection appears beside hers in the mirror. As soon as she sees his sympathetic smile, she breaks and tears start slipping down her cheeks, "I can't do this..."

Taehyung doesn't say anything right away. He just takes the bouquet from her hands and lightly wipes at her tears. Talia stares at him, her surprise keeping her from crying even more and eventually her tears stop smearing the mascara in the corner of her eyes.

"You don't have to. I know Mother wants me to say otherwise, but I'm being honest. You don't have to marry him if you don't want to, Talia. The choice is yours," Taehyung says and Talia instantly starts shaking her head no.

"You don't know how mad Mom--"

"Screw Mother. Tell me, do you love him?" Taehyung snaps, needing to be a bit harsh to break through the fear and panic that is pulsing through her veins. Talia hesitates, her teeth digging into her lip-glossed lip, "Tell me the truth, Talia. If you need to lie to me, that's fine, but don't lie to yourself," Taehyung explains and Talia sighs, looking back at the mirror.

"No...no I don't...but Mother expects me to marry...that's all she ever told me. All she's ever ingrained in my brain. I never needed to be smart or nice or friendly. I was pretty and that was enough..." Talia says bitterly, not able to look at Taehyung face on, though she does look at him through the mirror, her teary eyes meeting his comforting ones, "I hated you when everyone said you were prettier, smarter, nicer...I wanted to be like you, but then also better than you...and Daniel--"

"Daniel was straight before he met me. He even told me I was the first boy he ever liked...I think he was dating me just for sex, but I never gave him that. That's why it was so easy for him to cheat, I think," Taehyung interrupts, "But just because Daniel chose you over me doesn't mean you need to marry him. Especially if you don't love him," Taehyung adds, emphasizing the emotions that he wants Talia to feel when talking about her fiance. Not anger or hatred or fear, but love.

"He's just in it for the money...I think that's the only reason Mom wants this so bad too...for the money," Talia whispers, her posture crumpling at the thought of only being worth financial gain.

"Tell me, Talia...would that extra money make you happy...?" Taehyung hesitantly asks, yet Talia freezes as if his words shocked her. He can see her mind whirling, pushing past all the things her mother has said to make her think and feel this way.

"Probably not..." Talia admits letting out a long and heavy sigh, "I'm so fucked," she whispers and Taehyung shakes his head no, going over and pulling her into a hug.