Chapter Eleven: Fudge

Following the morning of Halloween, Echo was told the summarized story of the search for her and Sirius Black, by Lupin. Leaving out the part of his panic attack.

When Lupin quoted Peeves he swallowed thickly and attempted to mask the fear and anxiety Peeves instilled.

Echo quickly noticed his change of demeanor.

She was now planning on strangling Peeves and killing him twice. She's never tried to, but her mother was able to physically touch spirits. Echo thought it was a good idea to see if the gift was passed down.

After Lupin finished, she was about to tell her own point of view but was interrupted by an owl flying through the window. Lupin untied the note from its leg.

Apparently, the Minister of Magic heard about the incident and requested Echo to tell her side of the events in Dumbledore's office, in approximately 10 minutes.

And that's where she was now. Dumbledore sat at his desk while the Head of houses, Lupin and the Minister of Magic; Cornelius Fudge, stood to the side. Two additional ministry officials were placed behind Fudge, taking notes.

He requested Echo to sit, but she refused. She didn't like sitting when other people were standing, especially adults, it made them think they were more superior than they actually were.

Echo stood in a firm stance with her arms crossed over her chest, facing the adults. Her posture was straight and face stoic while staring at the Minister, who shifted under her gaze. A man she easily considered a coward.

"Now, what happened?" The minister questioned with false authority.

Oh, she was going to have fun with this.

Echo shrugged. "You might want to be more specific, Minister," she paused. "You could be referring to anything, like the time I killed a Zheng, or when I crafted a homemade tampon out of wild cotton when I got my first per —"

Cornelius made a face of disgust as he waved his hands around. "No, no, no. What happened with Sirius Black." He said exasperatedly.

The Professors tried their best to cover up their amused smiles by the Minister's immaturity. Lupin turned his head the other way concealing his chuckle as a cough, even Dumbledore's lips quirked up.

"Right," Echo said blankly. "Where do you want me to start?"

"How about you tell us why you left the feast without informing anybody," Snape answered coldly.

Echo looked at Snape through the corner of her eye. She was aware that Snape suspected Lupin of breaking Sirius into the castle (she wasn't sure why though), and since Echo was close with Lupin he believed that she could have assisted him.

She took a deep breath before answering,

"I left because it was overwhelming," she turned her attention back to Dumbledore instead of the Minister. "I don't do well with overly chaotic and crowded spaces. I become too hyper aware of my surroundings, resulting in me becoming extremely paranoid. And- well, it's not fun."

It was quiet as the authoritative figures processed what was said. Snape's eyebrow quirked up as he pursed his lips, looking at Echo.