Chapter Eight: Halloween Eve

Tensions were high between the Golden Trio. Ron and Hermione were bitter towards each other after the many attempts on Scabber's life by Crookshanks, Hermione's cat. When they weren't ignoring each other they would bicker over the littlest things.

Harry was also sour that he was unable to convince Professor McGonagall to let him go to Hogsmeade without a signed permission slip. His mood would always go down whenever someone mentioned Hogsmeade. Echo was going to reassure him that she couldn't go either, but got a letter then next morning from Dumbledore saying that she had permission to visit.

The only times the Trio were actually in a good mood seemed to be when quidditch rolled around. Harry attempted to invite Echo to the first Gryffindor practice but quickly got scolded by Oliver Wood, quidditch captain, for trying to invite a Slytherin to their practice; paranoid that she would try to sabotage their team. This ultimately led her hanging out with Neville at the greenhouses. She was happy to see him so excited and naturally confident in something; he had a passion for Herbology.

Their study sessions in the library were going well. Echo discovered that Neville needed help with Transfiguration along with Potions. He was brilliant in the subjects, he just needed some confidence that was easily brought out with reassurance and praise.

On October 16th Lavender Brown got news that her bunny, Binky, died. She along with another third year Gryffindor, Parvati Patil, cornered Echo. Accusing her fox, Sionna of murdering her bunny. Which was absurd giving that her bunny was in England while Sionna hasn't left either Echo's side or their dorm in Scotland. They went on for about 7 minutes before the Weasley twins stepped in after noticing Echo was about to get physical. Her eyes were narrowed and her fists were balled tightly; they weren't letting her get a word in and kept trying to back her up against a wall.

Tonight was the night before Halloween, 25 minutes before the full moon. Echo had a blanket, a book and some snacks shoved into a bag, walking through the large dark hallways, on her way towards Lupin's office. She was planning on staying with Lupin for the full moon tonight. Of course she was going to have put up a good argument to get Lupin to agree, which was not going to be simple. She understood that her attempt might be futile, but it's better than not trying. Echo didn't want Lupin to be alone during the full moons anymore, it's a painful and traumatic experience that no one should go through, and Lupin had been doing it alone for years now.

She walked up the stone steps towards his office and knocked on the door firmly.

She waited for a few moments before the door swung open, revealing a tired looking Lupin. Her remedy made him feel better but did nothing for his looks.

Lupin looked at Echo bewildered after fully registering who it was; he was worried that it might have been another student, or worse, Professor Snape.

"Echo- what are you doing here? The full moon is in 23 minutes," he rushed in a quiet tone.

Echo stared at the scarred man for a second before moving past him into his office, setting her bag down near the three seater and pulling out her blanket, laying it down.

"Sleepover," she said in a bored tone. She knew saying this did nothing to help her case.

Lupin looked at her like she was mad. He should've suspected something like this would happen.

"Echo, I know you feel the need to help people, but I'm serious, you need to leave. I'm sorry but you can't stay, it's too dangerous," he said determinedly.

Echo turned to face him with her arms crossed over her chest defiantly. Echo looked over the man, he looked tired and weak. Her heart tugged a bit at the sight.