Chapter 2 - Teagan

Teagan

School was finally over for the week and we weren't back until Tuesday. Someone had brought up the idea of a camping trip at the beach and so far Zayn, Alicia, Tamara, Niall, Josh, Rhiannon, Louis and I were going. That was everyone from our group of friends at school and I planned to invite two of my friends from work, Rachael and Liam.

"Ni, I'm going to work," I shouted through to his room of the apartment.

"Ok love see you when your back," he replied.

"Love ya! Bye," I shouted back.

I closed the door behind me and walked to the coffee shop down the road.

"Hey Li, hey Rach," I said strolling into the shop.

I unhooked my black apron from its peg and tied it round my waist. We had to wear short sleeve white shirts and black skirts and flat black shoes. Liam wore black converse and black trousers with the white shirt. Rachael's skirt was just above the knee and mine was mid thigh.

"Hey Teagan! How was school?" Rach asked.

"Awful! I had the worst hang over this morning and everyone just seemed to be shouting all the time!" I complained.

I heard Liam laugh as he came back behind the counter putting his round black tray down.

"Ooh and I was wondering if you two wanted to come camping at the beach with me and some friends tomorrow till Monday," I questioned.

"Sounds great," they both agreed.

I smiled at them as they walked off to take orders. I pulled a try off the rack and followed behind them. I walked over to a table and scribbled their orders down onto my notepad. I ripped the page off and stuck it up behind the counter with one of the magnets. Liam was there too completing his order.

"How's Niall," Liam asked caringly. He was the only one who knew and even he only knew what I confirmed after he worked it out.

"He's fine I guess," I shrugged scraping vanilla powder into a cup, adding milk and ice.

"Do you ever think about going home."

"This is home for me. Sometimes I worry Niall regrets it but he's the best friend ever. No one else would have done that for me," I replied taking a muffin from the basket.

"Can't believe after 15 years you two are still only friends," Liam mumbled walking off with his tray.

"Neither can I," I whispered putting everything onto my tray and taking it over to the table. 3 hours later my shift was over and I said goodbye to Liam and Rachael until tomorrow and walked home. I wondered in the door and put my keys on the table. I placed my pay from my shift into the money jar on the kitchen counter and slumped onto the old sofa.

"T do we have anything for dinner tonight?" Niall shouted from the kitchen.

I walked in to join him and opened the fridge. It was empty apart from a small bottle of milk. I looked in the top cupboard and found some pasta and cheese.

"I can improvise," I said.

"It can't be worse than last night," Niall shrugged.

"We didn't eat last night," I said confused.

"Exactly."

"I'm so sorry Ni, its all my fault," I whimpered tears slowly rolling down my cheeks.

"Hey, hey Teagan we're in this together remember? I love you," he said hugging me tightly.

He only meant 'I love you' in a friend way. We've been saying it to each other since we were 3. That's when we met.

*flashback*

I was out of the house and hiding in my usual spot. I sat in the bushes behind the Rainbow Pre-School. All the children were coming out to play on the soft ground. The adults brought out ripe fruit which the children took gratefully. I could hear my tummy rumble at the sight of it. Each panel of the fence was painted in a colour of the rainbow going round the outside of the play area. I leant against the bin holding my little doll tightly. When toys were broken the adults threw them away and sometimes I took things out for myself.

"Hello," I heard a little boy's voice say.

I looked up to see a small boy only slightly taller than me with bright blue eyes and brown hair. He had a warm smile on his face as he looked at me over the gate.

"Hello," I replied.

"Would you like to come and play with me? I'm Niall" he asked, his accent thicker than mine.

I nodded and he opened the gate. I walked through still clutching my little doll.

"Who's this," he said pointing to my doll still smiling.

"Bridget," I replied nervously.

An adult looked at me and came over to us. She looked at me, and Niall explained that he wanted to play with me and I'd been behind the gate. I told her my name and she shook her head.

"Please let her stay," Niall pleaded.

I pressed a pound coin into the ladies hand in case it made a difference.

"Fine you can stay," she sighed.

Niall hugged me tightly and grabbed my hand. The lady gave me a piece of fruit and Niall dragged me off to play House. I was Mummy, he was Daddy and Bridget was the baby. He promised me on that day that when we were big he'd marry me and I believed him. Each morning he'd open the gate for me and I'd give the lady a pound coin I'd found at home and I would play with Niall the whole day.

*end flashback*

So much has changed since then. We'd changed. I still had Bridget sat on my bed. The only promise Niall had ever broken was the one about marrying me. We decided at 4 that when we were 18 we would get married. We had just learnt how to count to 20 but Niall was stuck on 18. It seemed like such a big number and so far away. Now here we are at 18 well Niall's 18, my birthday's in 2 weeks, with no food, not married but still best friends. And that would never change.

AN: thank you for the reads and to whoever voted You Da Best! - Alex xx