Halloween

It was a dark evening, and the setting sun cast eerie orange rays on the crowded town square below. They were celebrating two years since Ozai's defeat, and everyone was ecstatic.
The only things that lit the street were torches held by some very talented fire benders, who bent the flames to cast human like shadows on the road. One of the benders was the current Fire Lord, Zuko.
Katara had roped him into it, since she was very excited to celebrate and wanted him to partake in the newly established tradition. He wasn't sure if she was his girlfriend, they had gone on several successful dates but hadn't talked about making it official yet. This was why he took took the position as one of the 'torch benders', he was hoping for the chance to ask Katara what they were to each other. Deep conversations like that would go over much smoother if she was happy with him.

'RUN AWAY PUMPKIN! RUN AWAY PUMPKIN!' Someone was screaming. Zuko turned in time to see a gigantic pumpkin rolling itself down the road and heading toward the crowd of celebrating people. The yelling drew their attention and they dove out of the way just in time as the colossal fruit faced by and crashed into a nearby pole.
'NO! MY PUMPKINS!' The man cried, falling to his knees by the smashed up pumpkin. 'I should have stuck with cabbages!'

'It's ok, sir. We brought extra.' Katara soothed the distraught man. Zuko watched in silent admiration at her tenderness. She was tough as nails, but could also be the kindest person he knew. Maybe it was because when her mother died she had to take her place in taking care of Sokka.

'The Pumpkin Race is about to begin!' Called a distant voice. Pumpkin dancing was one of their newer additions to the celebrations, and it had started as a total accident. Some young teens had decided to dare each other to run on top of the rolling pumpkins and whoever made it to the finish line first would win. It had been very hard.
Until they added the rule that all participants must have a partner. Then it was almost impossible.

'Heyyyyyyyyy...' Zuko drew out as he and Katara followed the crowd to the race starting point. 'Are you going to compete?'

'I might just watch,' Katara said absently, smiling as Sokka and Suki paired together, laughing as she tripped and fell onto a large pumpkin that came up to her hips.

'Oh. Ok.' He was a little disappointed. He wasn't a huge fan of this sport, but he really wanted to do something with Katara.

'Oh, unless you would like to!' Katara said quickly, reading his expression. Just then, someone rang a small bell to announce that the game would start in five minutes.

The couple wordlessly found a spare pumpkin and heaved it to the start line. Zuko held out a hand to help her up, which she didn't notice as she climbed the side of the pumpkin. It was an awkward moment with his hand suspended in the air, and the look on Katara's face as she realized that he had been trying to help.

The starting bell rang out, jarring them from the awkward moment. They grasped each other's hands and began to run, using their feet to propel the pumpkin forward toward the hill.

Once the pumpkin started to roll, it just sped up. The two struggled to stay on, sometimes having to wrap their arms around each other to keep from falling. It was very difficult and by the time they reached the halfway marker they were both drenched in sweat and breathing hard.

Suddenly, a long gong was sounded, rattling their skulls and causing them to fall off their pumpkin.

'What was that?!' Katara stormed, leaping to her feet and scanning the grassy hill for the source of the noise. It was soon located, a gigantic bell was still vibrating beside the finish line. A pumpkin lay smashed against a tree, and two people stood proudly behind the line. They had won. The race was over.