Leaves from the Vine (Iroh and OC)

It was the perfect day. The sun was shining in a beautiful blue sky with puffy white clouds; the grass was green and the trees were already flaunting their beautiful fall colors, each one even more breathtaking than the last.

Underneath a particularly beautiful tree sat an old man. He was fairly short, although broad with chiseled muscles showing through his dark green tunic.

He knelt before the tree, staring silently at a piece of old parchment. It was a drawing of a young man, who looked much like himself, except for the shape of his face. It was much narrower. Much like his mother's.

"Oh, Lu Ten. You were too young." Iroh's chest constricted painfully as tears leaked from his eyes onto the parchment. "Much too young."

Bowing his head, he began the first verse of the song he always sang at this time of the year.

"Leaves from the vine,

Falling so slow..."

His voice broke, and he tried to continue but the lump in his throat prevented him from making any noise. Instead, he rocked back and forth on his heels, biting his lip and gently stroking the parchment. Today was especially hard for him to remember his son; it was the ten year mark since his death.

"That's a beautiful song,"

Iroh jumped in surprise and turned to see a tall, willowy old woman. She blushed, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to surprise you."

Iroh smiled and wiped the tears from his eyes, "no-" his voice cracked and he cleared his throat, trying again. "No, don't be sorry. Is there a problem?"

This was Emica Abiko, one of the people who worked at his newly opened tea shop and one of his closest friends. She shook her head, "It was just a little thing. I'm sorry for interrupting, I'll go now."

Face bright red, she turned away.

"He was only a boy," Iroh said quietly and Emica turned.

"Your son?"

Iroh nodded, swallowing. Emica bit her lip and moved a few steps closer.

"My son died a few years ago as well," Emica said carefully. "Tomorrow, it will be five years."

Iroh looked down at the picture of his son. "I may be one of the Fire Lord's advisors, but I don't think that I will ever be wise enough to know why bad things happen to such good, young people."

Emica nodded and sat down beside him, "I don't think anyone really knows the answer to that. Maybe we're not supposed to understand until we've passed on as well."

Iroh nodded silently.

"That song you were singing; Leaves from the Vine?" Emica started. "I know that song. Me and my family sang it every night while my son was overseas. We even sang it at his funeral."

Iroh smiled sadly, "Would you like to sing it for them together?"

"You wouldn't mind? I wouldn't want to intrude on such a personal matter." she looked down at her knotted hands in her lap.

"I've been honoring my son's death alone for ten years. It would be nice to have someone with me for once." Iroh answered. Emica nodded and they sang together;

"Leaves from the vine

Falling so slow

Like fragile tinny shells, drifting in the foam

Little soldier boy come marching home,

Brave soldier boy

Comes marching home."

Tears dropped silently into both of their laps, but the ache in their hearts had somewhat lightened. They had both dealt with the loss of their loved ones for years, but it was a large burden to bear alone.

Iroh turned to Emica and they shared a small smile, a tiny ray of warmth in the cold world.

A\N For those who might not know, the song they are singing is from the episode Tales of Ba Sing Se. Hope you all liked this story, let me know in the comments!