I burst through American Eagle’s doors, feeling the sunshine hit my face.  I looked up, shielding my eyes from the sun with my hand.  I let out an aggravated sigh.  What was it about clothes and boys that made girls go crazy?  And why were clothes so important that you chose them over your friend?

This world confused me.  A lot.

I stepped off the sidewalk and began my journey through the parking lot.  I had a long walk home ahead of me—one that was definitely going to take more than ten minutes.  I would call my mom, but she would probably tell me to get over it and just push Kyla out of the store.  Little did she know that there was no pushing that girl out of a clothes store.  I’d be sitting there all night.

But, then again, I was probably going to get lost and take all night to get home anyway.

I sucked at directions.  They just weren’t my thing.

I twisted around, catching a quick glance at Borders.  It stood alone, smack in the middle of the mall’s parking lot.  I sighed longingly, wishing that I could spare a few minutes to buy at least one book.  But, sadly, I couldn’t.

I turned back around, starting through the parking lot again.

“Going somewhere?”

I jumped, spinning around.  I sighed in relief when I realized who it was.  But the relief disappeared as soon as it had come.  Why, oh why was this happening to me?  “Why are you turning up everywhere I go?” I demanded, pointing an accusing finger at the person in front of me.  “Are you following me?”

Dannon held up his hands innocently.  “I was just shopping at the mall and happened to see you.”

“What kind of guy shops at the mall alone?” I wondered aloud.  I wasn’t really talking to him.  I tried to think of a single time I went to the mall with Kyla and saw a boy alone.  It never happened.

“Uh me?” Dannon grinned.  “I was at Borders.”

He held up the Borders bag in his hand.  I stared at it, wide-eyed.  I couldn’t help but feel a sting of jealousy.  While I was stuck in a changing room he was having the time of his life at Borders.  Well, that was, if he liked Borders as much as I did.    

“You went to Borders?” I sputtered, my shock not concealed very well.

“Yeah.”  Dannon brought a hand through his hair.  “It’s my favorite store.”

My mouth almost dropped.  “A guy . . . likes . . . books.”

Dannon laughed, tossing me a smile.  I looked him up and down.  It was odd seeing him out of the school’s atmosphere.  What was odder was the fact that he didn’t seem different at all.  Usually people were at least a little different during the school day.  Kyla and I were both usually quiet during classes unless we were in each other’s class, but the second we left the building we were goofing off.  Everyone else that I’d seen around outside school (like at Wal-Mart or something) seemed different, too.  But Dannon didn’t.

Odd.  So very odd.

“Yes,” Dannon drawled, the smile still on his face, “guys can like books, too.  You sexist female you.” 

I rolled my eyes, glancing behind me.  I turned back to him, sighing.  “Well, congratulations on going to borders.”  I took a step back.  “Now, if you would excuse me, I have a home to get to.”

Dannon easily caught up with me as I hurried away.  I mentally cursed.  Damn athleticism.  “Where’s your car?” he inquired cheerfully.  “I’ll walk you to it.”