Chapter 35| Ice cream store

Começar do início

Now, I just found it horrific coming face-to-face with him again as I didn't know what to expect given his formidable aura which I blindly acknowledged and went all crazy eccentric on him on Sunday. And the news of his Ex being comatose and rumored to have been homosexual got me feeling skeptical about being anywhere near him if it was something big enough to make him reserved.

Maybe not that. Maybe it was just me being embarrassed because he showed his regret to stopping my anxiety after I foolishly watched a horror movie that reminded me of my deceased father.

I could only think he regretted his action because he didn't spare me a glance after the episode. He must feel repulsed by what he had to do for me when he obviously still suffered from his bad breakup with the girl, whoever she was. And I didn't know why it bothered me this much but him obscuring his concern to express his desire of wanting nothing to do with me made me feel dirty for agreeing to this sleepover invite at his house.

Well, I didn't particularly agree to the sleepover but he wasn't going to know that.

"Should we use the intercom?" Chioma asked, bringing me back to the human realm.

"No, I can hear voices outside the house. Let's check if the gate is open." I could indeed hear indistinct voices yelling from a distance.

Chioma tried the handle of the white gate and it paved way when she pushed it in.

"Oh look, they're expecting us." she wiggled her eyebrows at me with a wide grin.

"Whatever." I muttered and followed suit into the house premises. The house was just the same as I left it a few days ago. Simply breathtaking.

A few trees shadowed the sidewalk and shed a few leaves to the ground as we strode in. We left the curved pathway and came into full view of the house itself, aisled by green bedding guiding to the front door and a tall palm tree that sprouted it's leaves like an umbrella and shadowed a small portion of the white house from view.

There were only three cars in the compound, one of which I recognized as Kelvin's. The other two were a flashy red sports car and a black SUV.

My favorite view of all time remained the green lawn that had beautiful sweaty boys running haphazardly on it as they yelled at each other while playing football. There was Richard, the gorgeous ripped guy with locked hair, and Paul, a dark, tall and lean but an equally muscular dessert 'cause that wasn't even a snack anymore. I saw Charlie, the cute flirt and Michael, the obnoxious flirt, as well as Adam, Kelvin and Christopher. They were busy running around the field with a ball dribbled and passed between their fine slender legs.

As the cool wind swished past my long dreads left cascading down my shoulders and making my loose attire cling to my body like a kid from daycare sighting his mom, I swallowed the moisture that accumulated in my mouth at the sight of them and prayed.

dear Lord, let me retain my virginity by the time I leave here.

Subbie, the voice in my head, decided to chip in her unwarranted opinion.

why? Losing it would only mark a sleepover gone right.

Charlie was first to sight us and he waved frantically in his Chelsea shorts and tank top that outlined the perspiration on his clavicle and underarm when he raised his arm. "You guys made it! Tracy! How you doing?"

My heart fluttered at Charlie's undivided attention on me away from his game, and his ever charming grin bared at me like a boy watching an ice cream cart passing by.

I lifted my hand mid-air in a small wave with a girlish smile.

The other boys had shifted their attention to us as well but only before Paul kicked the ball again and sent it flying to Charlie's head in a loud smack. The latter tore his gaze from me and angrily charged at Paul, cueing for the continuity of their game. I also met Christopher's gaze briefly and that brief moment felt like eternity before he tore his eyes away from me and back on the ball with black and white patches. I inhaled a sharp breath after the one that stuck in my throat.