Chapter 5: Rusted Silver

After a few more weeks, I had recovered enough to the point that I could walk outside without the assistance of a crutch or a nurse however, I still needed to be escorted by a guard as the Army fears that I would be targeted for assassination by the Northern Entente Alliance as revenge for their soldiers. According to them, me dying would be a huge propaganda victory for the Entente and a blow to the morale of the troops in the front and the citizens. I asked the General Staff’s representative for a compromise that instead of being accompanied by several soldiers, I would be escorted by just two soldiers. When they asked who I had in mind to nominate as my escorts, I nominated Lance Corporal William Reinhardt and Second Lieutenant Tanya Zettour.

When I was asked why I chose them, I responded with “Sir. Lance Corporal Reinhardt is a soldier whom I put the highest trust in during our time in the Norden outpost and as for Second Lieutenant Zettour, I chose her as to have a female companion. I believe that if only Lance Corporal Reinhardt would be my escort, people might be suspicious and rumors might spread around the army as such, Second Lieutenant Zettour would be there to dispel those rumors before they even start.”
“Understood Major. The General Staff will send you a message once your proposal has been approved. Until then, please limit yourself going outside of the Hospital’s garden.” the representative said before leaving.

After a few days, a messenger from the General Staff visited me in the hospital saying that they approved of my nominations and that my escorts will arrive in 3 days.

3 days later, Lance Corporal Reinhardt and Second Lieutenant Zettour came to my room and started their duty as my escorts.
“Hey hey Major. Did you know you already have a nickname with the other soldiers?” Zettour told me
“Really? That’s pretty surprising isn’t it?” I asked Zettour.
“Wellllll……” Zettour said while looking pretty hesitant to say what my nickname is.
“Lance Corporal, you tell him what his nickname is! Please!” Zettour begged Reinhardt to say it instead of her. Is she hiding something? I wondered.
“Wait what?! Why me?!” Reinhardt was taken aback by this because even he didn’t want to say what my nickname was.
They continued arguing and bickering on who should tell me what my nickname was. They were starting to get pretty noisy and annoying and decided to break up their argument by saying, “Oh come on, it can’t be that bad. Come on, just tell me. I promise I won’t be mad.”
I thought to myself that having a nickname couldn't be that bad since it could make my promotion to work in the rear easier.
“Well Major, we just heard this from the other troops so this is just hearsay but according to them, you’re pretty well known as ‘Rusted Silver’ because when blood dries up, it turns into a color similar to silver rust. Plus Major, you were awarded with the Knight’s Cross which is made of silver so that is probably what originated the nickname.” Reinhardt said to me.
I was shocked. “WHAT THE F*CK?! DO THEY THAT ME! A F*CKING TEN YEAR OLD! IS A F*CKING BATTLE CRAZED MANIAC?! WHAT IN THE DANTE’S SEVEN CIRCLES OF HELL DO THEY THINK I AM?!” I was furious, my voice echoed throughout the room. How can this be?!
“If this keeps up, the General Staff will definitely think I’m more suited to the front rather than the rear!” I said to myself while thinking how did this happen then suddenly I realized who was responsible for this, “GOD. I knew that piece of sh*t was responsible for this. You influenced this didn’t you?! DAMN YOU!” I said to myself while trying to hold in my anger.
When I looked up, I saw both Reinhardt and Zettour shivering in fear, I never thought both in my past life and here that I would see two full grown adults would be shivering in fear. I let out a smile and laughed at them.