Chapter Two ✘ Jersey Chaser

Magsimula sa umpisa

"This place is amazing." Faith mumbles, completely awestruck.

"Sports are a pretty big deal here." Micah says, thrusting his hands in his pockets. "The competition is severe."

"Just the way we like it." I grin, and the girls nod in agreement while Micah gives us an impressed look, to which we laugh off, but the three of us are incredibly tight when it comes to soccer. Growing up, we were called the Three Musketeers because we'd stop at nothing to win. Competitiveness is one of the traits that we share, but admittedly, I'm a little more fiercer when it comes to winning than Bella and Faith are.

"Do you guys live in campus?" Micah questions as we begin walking out of the field, the sun setting in the sky over us, bathing everything in an orange hue. California really is pretty.

I shake my head. "Nope, we've got an apartment just a few minutes away."

"Nice, same here."

"You live alone?" Faith asks, almost tripping over a patch of grass. I catch her arm right in time, saving her from face planting. She shoots me an embarrassed look and I laugh, shaking my head. Faith's always tripping over shit and knocking into things, and I'm always the one to save her.

"Nope, a house with three of my best friends and teammates. You guys should meet them." Micah responds, running a hand through his hair.

"That'd be great." Bella perks up, grinning like a Cheshire cat, and I roll my eyes at her discreetly and Faith hides a chuckle.

"What are your majors, by the way?" He asks as we enter the front courtyard area once again, where we were at first.

"Fashion design and marketing," Bella says, and Micah looks over to me.

"I'm doing media studies and sports communication. Faith's doing marine biology and dance." I answer for her, since she's busy fishing something out of her bag.

Micah whistles through his teeth. "Impressive."

After a few more minutes of talking, Micah takes his leave saying he has basketball practice to attend to, but not before giving Bella his number and walking off with a smile. The second he's out of earshot, I turn to Bella, crossing my arms across my chest.

"Jersey chaser." I laugh, looking pointedly at my best friend who's watching Micah's retreating figure intently. Knowing her, she's probably rating his butt in her head.

"You can't blame her, basketball players are hot." Faith defends, a teasing smile on her lips.

"I just like sporty guys." Bella shrugs.

"That's definitely called being a jersey chaser." I joke, earning a slap on the shoulder from Bella to shut me up.

• • •

I draw my eyes away from our TV that's playing some shitty reality show to look over at the pair that's nestled under the quilt that we're sharing on the couch beside me. A few inches away from me, the LA skyline glitters in the distance through the floor to ceiling window. The view is amazing, and I don't think I'd ever get over it.

"Pizza?" I turn to my friends, trying to get their attention. Faith is engrossed in the show, but she spares me a glance and a nod, and we both turn to Bella, only to catch her smiling at her phone like a moron.

"Uh oh." Faith widens her eyes, and Bella looks up, a confused expression washing over her features when she sees the two of us staring at her.

"What? Is there something on my face?"

"Other than a whole lot of ugly? Nope." I retort, and Faith bursts out laughing, and Bella throws one of the couch pillows at me.

"You're smiling at your phone, girl. Whoever it is, run." Faith explains, chuckling. "Never a good sign."

Bella huffs and rolls her eyes. "It's just Micah."

"Jersey chaser." I snicker again, and Bella throws me a glare.

"Shut up, if a six foot something incredibly hot college basketball player shows interest in you, you'd also be simping in no time."

"Could never be me." I state, throwing my hands up in a sarcastic peace sign. Bella rolls her eyes at me again, a smile on her lips this time at my antics.

"So, pizza?" Faith repeats my question to Bella, who grins widely.

"It's never a no from me for pizza, bitch."