Chapter 2: Revelations

Aang spends most of his days with Katara, utterly in love with the beautiful water bender. She on the other hand, while physically is with Aang, mentally she is lost in her thoughts about Zuko. Sokka and Suki realise that something's wrong and they approach Katara when she's alone on the Balcony.

"Katara, what's going on? We've noticed that you haven't been yourself lately. You don't seem happy with Aang. Did he do something?"

Sokka waits for the answers to his questions. With Suki standing beside him, He crosses his arms and continues. 

"Katara... look at me."

"Your right. I'm not happy with Aang. I'm not happy to be with Aang. Sure he's made me happy before but its different now."

Sokka sighs, "Okay... uh- Did he do something to you?"

Katara, ignoring her brother's questions, continues, "At first I thought that he was the powerful bender I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with. He would often make me smile and stay by my side, even when he didn't agree with me. And he has been nothing but sweet and nice. But... ever since I got to know Zuko-"

"Zuko? What about Zuko?" Sokka cut her off with another question.

"I- I dont know what to say Sokka... other than I- I love... Zuko."

"What! Well then why are you with Aang?", Suki moves in front of Sokka closer to Katara and questions her.

"Because... I- don't want to be... alone."

Sokka and Suki listen to Katara intently, trying to decipher what she was truly trying to say.

"Every time I'm with Aang, I'm with him. But at the same time, I'm not. I'm... with Zuko. Every time I kiss him, I feel like I'm kissinng Zuko. Every time I cuddle with him, I tell myself I'm with Zuko. Every time I tell him I love him, I confess to Zuko."

Sokka and Suki dropped their jaws after what they had just heard. Dissapointment and shock was painted across their faces as they realised what Katara was saying.

"Katara... this is just wrong. That's completely unacceptable. How could you do this to Aang? Do you know how much it'll hurt him if he hears about this?" Sokka shouts at his sister. Not in the jokingly manner he normally does, but instead filled with pure anger.

"You'll break his heart Katara." Suki stated while trying to hold back her boyfriend and her tears.

Katara however, was already sobbing immensely at her brother's, her friend's and her own words. Her actions had just now registered in her head. What she was doing to Aang was completely wrong. She was just using him to feel better. Even after everything he has done for her, she treats him like this. These thoughts however, come to a screeching halt as Zuko, coming from seemingly nowhere, grabs Katara by the waist, turns her around and pulls her into an embrace. Shocked at what she was seeing, she pulled away and as she was about to speak Zuko cut her off –

"I love you Katara. I didn't realise it before but I do know."

Wipping the tears coming down from Katara's blue ocean eyes, Zuko continues:

"I know you're confused and to be honest so was I. Ididn't know how I felt about you until I saw you with Aang. My heart ached whenever I saw him kiss you and cuddle you. And... since I couldn't be close to you... I decided to be closer to Mai. Every time I was with her I was thinking of you and... after hearing you say what you just admitted, made me realise that we were made for each other. We both harbour the same feelings for each other despite barely knowing each other. I took Azula's lightning for you... and I didn't think much of it then... but now I realise that I took it because I love you."